This might be a stupid question!

Will C

exclent. thank you very much, im looking at ringing Rob D for a alaskin next week, been talking about it for a long time, its time to have a go me thinks.

Ive been looking for a use for laylandi for a while :thumbup1:

Thank you for that link se7enthdevil looks handy :thumbup:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

exclent. thank you very much, im looking at ringing Rob D for a alaskin next week, been talking about it for a long time, its time to have a go me thinks.

Ive been looking for a use for laylandi for a while :thumbup1:

Thank you for that link se7enthdevil looks handy :thumbup:

no problem mate, the guy who runs it is a nice chap in the states and i helped him out a few years ago by sending him a box of about 80+ samples of natives and exotics that they just don't get in the states. he's got a list of what i donated here, About the Project | The Wood Database

i'm Steve by the way.

i'm Steve by the way.

I still can't help thinking you look like the bad dude in The Simpsons :biggrin:

Snake_from_the_simpsons.png

Lleylandi is good stuff (sssh don't tell anyone)- and so is Lawson's Cypress which is quite highly prized in the States, and known as Port Orford Cedar over there....

Top effort, sending all those samples!

Steve, just looking at your website at all your skittle varieties- do you have a copy of the mighty Pub Games book? What a brilliant read.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pub-Games-England-Timothy-Finn/dp/0362002460]Pub Games of England: Amazon.co.uk: Timothy Finn: 9780362002461: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2B-DVdH0oL.@@AMEPARAM@@61%2B-DVdH0oL[/ame]

Heartwood of leylandii and lawsons is fine but I wonder if it is as durable as WRC. The thing is most of these conifers (arbor vitae?) we only come across normally as a hedge, screen or windbreak tree and thus knotty throughout. Lawson's was favoured for arrow shafts and these were presumably cleft from clean heartwood.

Not mine, but of interest here. Can't remember where I got these figures from, but it is available on the 'net.

"The average life in years of 50mm by 50mm posts in ground contact prior to failure. Larger cross sections can be expected to last longer. However it may not be directly proportional to the 50mm by 50mm posts on test. All samples are heartwood.

The range of timbers listed are commonly available species grown in the UK. The range of lifespans can be used as a guide to the relative natural durability between the species. Most durable being “1”

Conifers

1 Yew 17.2

2 Western red cedar 15.1

3 Sequoia 15.0

4 Leyland cypress 14.9

5 Larch 12.0

6 Lawson cypress 11.7

7 Douglas fir 9.4

8 Silver fir 7.6

9 Scots pine 7.4

10 Western hemlock 6.0

11 Grand fir 5.3

12 Spruce ( Norway and Sitka) 5.2

13 Corsican pine 5.0

Ref. BRE Laboratory Report. The Biological Natural Durability of Timber in Ground Contact by G.A. Smith and R.J. Orsler"

Hope it helps :)

Not mine, but of interest here. Can't remember where I got these figures from, but it is available on the 'net.

"The average life in years of 50mm by 50mm posts in ground contact prior to failure. Larger cross sections can be expected to last longer. However it may not be directly proportional to the 50mm by 50mm posts on test. All samples are heartwood.

The range of timbers listed are commonly available species grown in the UK. The range of lifespans can be used as a guide to the relative natural durability between the species. Most durable being “1”

Conifers

1 Yew 17.2

2 Western red cedar 15.1

3 Sequoia 15.0

4 Leyland cypress 14.9

5 Larch 12.0

6 Lawson cypress 11.7

7 Douglas fir 9.4

8 Silver fir 7.6

9 Scots pine 7.4

10 Western hemlock 6.0

11 Grand fir 5.3

12 Spruce ( Norway and Sitka) 5.2

13 Corsican pine 5.0

Ref. BRE Laboratory Report. The Biological Natural Durability of Timber in Ground Contact by G.A. Smith and R.J. Orsler"

Hope it helps :)

Good stuff and sort of what I expected, it must depend on the soil and I would have given Corsican 2 years tops. Also I am surprised yew ( a taxad not conifer) is not further ahead of the rest and WRC is ahead of sequoia