Land Rover

Qvatrees

would never dream of it, but I did borrow my fathers Passat the other day and found a recipt from the scrap yard that stated his all up weight 5400kg!!!!!i always knew he pushed his luck (farmer) but that shocked me.

Btw, if you see a blue 61 plate passat for sale in somerset............avoid like the plague!!!!!:lol::lol:

I had a new VW once, never ever again.

A

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to convert a 110 to a mini artic with a fifth wheel coupling. I bought a complete set up off a guy that wanted his back as a landy. It has a hydraulic valve cut into the rear brake line that actuates the air to the trailer, the compressor is a 12volt thing that supplies a tank. I will post up some pics tomorrow. These are trailer rated at 4.5 ton but its a lot different in road manners than a drawbar trailer. The fifth wheel coupling is slightly forward of the rear axle so when you hit the brakes the front wheels dont go light and there is no snaking about no matter what you do , you can also lean on the vehicle to the tune of 1 ton which puts the whole thing at 7.5 ton gross.

Bob

I would love to see, that makes alot more sense than the traditional ifor williams set up with wheels pointing in all directions from new. Can you modify a chieftan trailer from ireland or are they too heavy to start with.

I am going to convert a 110 to a mini artic with a fifth wheel coupling. I bought a complete set up off a guy that wanted his back as a landy. It has a hydraulic valve cut into the rear brake line that actuates the air to the trailer, the compressor is a 12volt thing that supplies a tank. I will post up some pics tomorrow. These are trailer rated at 4.5 ton but its a lot different in road manners than a drawbar trailer. The fifth wheel coupling is slightly forward of the rear axle so when you hit the brakes the front wheels dont go light and there is no snaking about no matter what you do , you can also lean on the vehicle to the tune of 1 ton which puts the whole thing at 7.5 ton gross.

Bob

How do you get round the LR restriction for towing more than 4 tonnes?

I've seen these mini artics based on an iveco 7.5 tonne whci can gross 8.25 tonnes on a B+E licence and I've also seen them on landrovers (pulling the strating gates for race horses) but assumed you were limited to the 6 tonne gross of the landrover and the 4 tonne towing limit.

I'd be interested as we have a heavy stump grinder to move around.

Also does this combo obviate the need for an operator's licence? As the LR is dual purpose if less than 2 tonne unladen or does one have to consider the trailer as part of the vehicle as it is semi imposed?

I would love to see, that makes alot more sense than the traditional ifor williams set up with wheels pointing in all directions from new. Can you modify a chieftan trailer from ireland or are they too heavy to start with.

I was hoping to keep the trailer weight down to about a ton.

How do you get round the LR restriction for towing more than 4 tonnes?

I've seen these mini artics based on an iveco 7.5 tonne whci can gross 8.25 tonnes on a B+E licence and I've also seen them on landrovers (pulling the strating gates for race horses) but assumed you were limited to the 6 tonne gross of the landrover and the 4 tonne towing limit.

I'd be interested as we have a heavy stump grinder to move around.

Also does this combo obviate the need for an operator's licence? As the LR is dual purpose if less than 2 tonne unladen or does one have to consider the trailer as part of the vehicle as it is semi imposed?

I suppose its all different when the trailer is on a fifth wheel , for a start there is no 150kg max drawbar weight to worry about and the fifth wheel will carry more than anything a landrover could pull on its own ( the one on the artic is good for 12 ton but that is a lot bigger), so once coupled you will be limited by the maximum axle weights. landy axles are rated at 2 tons per axle so if the two trailers axles are good for 2 tons each and the landrover rear axle is ok at 2 tons I can see a healthy payload of about 4-41/2 tons if the trailer can be kept at around the ton. The landrover is still a dual purpose vehicle so it should still be under the radar as far as operators license goes but will probably need a tacho, none of this applies if you register it like a mog as ag/forestry. Some landys are rated at 7tons gtw and there are a few hicaps at 7.5 ton gtw.I have also seen trays that clip into the fifth wheel when the trailers are not being used that put it back to a flatbed.

Vipex have been doing them for a while @7000kg gtw . Vipex build Landrover Defender based off-road lightweight artic | Vipex

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Me bitz, all a bit grubby.

This gadget has an arm that drops down to the axle for load compensating , it is also the valve that has the landrover rear hydraulic brake line run through it. note the two bleed nipples on the top.

imagejpg3_zpsb07e3c58.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsbe0f1c19.jpg

Fifth wheels are tiny at 18"

imagejpg7_zps05c9e5aa.jpg

Relay

imagejpg5_zpsd34b96de.jpg

Compressors and tanks

imagejpg8_zpsb63a01e6.jpg

imagejpg6_zps1e6e9619.jpg

Edited by aspenarb

Qvatrees ya gunna show us a few pics of this beast please ? If yer running air brakes are you legally allowed to tow 4,200 KG instead of 3,500 ?? Air brakes on a pickup and an airbraked ifor williams trailer wood be noice.

Sounds like ya shud do a cheap and simple chip box conversion and keep her as a back up veeeehickle.

Finally worked out how to put pics up with the help of Steve Bullman, (many thanks) to find I don't have any that arnt embarrassing

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1420586989.461961.jpg.5d49dbcf882843eb2c6014ae2a0ac4ac.jpg

I've seen these mini artics based on an iveco 7.5 tonne whci can gross 8.25 tonnes on a B+E licence

Correction I meant C1+E for the Iveco, the LR 5th wheel would be B+E.

I spoke to the firm Bob linked this morning and the conversion adds £10k to the £28k of the 130 crewcab plus the cost of the trailer which can gross 4.5 tonnes so one could just about equal the payload of a 7.5 tonne lorry if pockets are deep enough.