Building your own saw!

div_h

Hi div, I've just bought this old stihl

[ATTACH]173281[/ATTACH]

Got it for £8 on the bay

Thought it would be completely knackered but a bit of fiddling and I've got it running. Few more bits to get it going properly but was better than I thought.

I found this that might suit you today on eBay, plus the one above is what it could look like

[ATTACH]173282[/ATTACH]

I'm watching it but too far for me to go it's near Lincoln

I will have a thread but I was thinking something a bit more modern :blushing:

I'm after a stihl pro saw or a husky.. Don't want anything with a belly pan type thing that hold the crank together if you know what I mean:confused1:

Went into the shed today and pulled out my ms171 and it was sitting in a puddle of chain oil 👎 so a think it will be going as spares or repairs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi div, I've just bought this old stihl

[ATTACH]173281[/ATTACH]

Got it for £8 on the bay

Thought it would be completely knackered but a bit of fiddling and I've got it running. Few more bits to get it going properly but was better than I thought.

I found this that might suit you today on eBay, plus the one above is what it could look like

[ATTACH]173282[/ATTACH]

I'm watching it but too far for me to go it's near Lincoln

The repair job isn't too bad, if it goes for less than £200, it's definitely worth a punt.

The one selling for £800 is a fake!

The repair job isn't too bad, if it goes for less than £200, it's definitely worth a punt.

The one selling for £800 is a fake!

You can buy a Chinese copy one on alibaba. It is identifiable by a shiny muffler and felling dogs. I read a rumour that the original genuine 070 was still available a few years ago from Mexico.

You can buy a Chinese copy one on alibaba. It is identifiable by a shiny muffler and felling dogs. I read a rumour that the original genuine 070 was still available a few years ago from Mexico.

You can still buy OEM models in Peru, various jungle countries in Africa, and Indonesia. But whilst the Chinese copies are almost identical, there are a few subtle differences, OEM still uses points, the writing for the choke, and all bolts should be flat-heads. The one on eBay uses all hex-bolts, which Stihl doesn't use on a combi tool, so it couldn't be stripped down with one tool.

I doubt that 070 will go for peanuts; there are too many collectors in Lincolnshire. I've sold a few not-worth-repairing older Stihls to local collectors for more than they are (IMO) worth.

Oh I dunno, I managed to pick up mine for £200. The one at £50 may sell for less than £400, that'll be worth it with repair costs.

Winter tends to push the price up.