The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think we are sounding like whinging farmers, Yes the past two years have been a bit slow but 2010-12 were great and if you have invested that profit wisely at the time you can just sit on your stock and ride the wave.

My regular round I have built up over the last 10 or so years keeps me going beyond tick over, The more people that are giving the game up because it's a little tough at the moment surely that's a better thing for the rest of us that can stick at it.

Bang on the money!

If you run a good business you will have your regulars, if you look after the regulars they will look after you. Any other sales are a bonus.

And remember there's plenty of time for the weather to turn cold. :thumbup1:

Bang on the money!

If you run a good business you will have your regulars, if you look after the regulars they will look after you. Any other sales are a bonus.

And remember there's plenty of time for the weather to turn cold. :thumbup1:

Um yes but what about growing your business where do those new customers come from there not bonuses there a necessity.

We did have lots of regulars but even some of them could be suckered into buying some cheap crap. Also there memories were short they often would then do it again 3 years later. What you need is a good cold spell when people need the heat out of a decent log. I think the cold weather may be on its way. You can all get some logs gone and buy some of my kindling otherwise I will run out of room for the summer. :001_rolleyes:

Hi STEVE as you no we will not see this price again £35 into yard 😰😰😰😰but your right thanks Jon

cross your fingers Jon, we had a load delivered in start of december £31 per ton mostly a mix birch & beech with a little bit of other stuff mixed in. haven't been on the phone to see if theres anything else out there atm.

Can't wait to be stood in the sun not the rain in an inch of **** .

No deliveries to fit in . Gambling on how much cord to buy.

May be hedge your bets buy cordwood and get a pile of arb waste just in case it goes nuts. May take longer but at least you can keep ticking over and your not sat on dead money for another year.

Problem was in 2010 once your stock pile ran out you were dead in the water. We could have sold ten times as many logs but the following year we did not sell a tenth of it. When there is no demand plenty of cord about hard winter = no cord or inflated prices for the following year. At the moment log merchants are paying through the nose for cord yet oil has halved in price. To make it worth doing logs again I would have to be buying in at £35 a toone delivered and that would put me back on par with 2008.

Steve where your situated I know for a fact you can get cord for £40 on hardwood and 29 for soft. So the average is around the cost you want. We're buying in that area and getting a load back to Herefordshire so drivers can get home.

May be hedge your bets buy cordwood and get a pile of arb waste just in case it goes nuts. May take longer but at least you can keep ticking over and your not sat on dead money for another year.

Nope like hearing the kching when I push the joystick up on the tajfun been doing over size today and I'm knackered.