Giant Coast Redwoods ~ a Must-See ~ 2015

mdvaden

Some awesome pictures of the Sequoia :001_smile:

@ mdvaden- Are you familiar with what the employment needs are for management or indeed study of Coastal Redwoods in the USA? I'm currently working towards a degree in Arboriculture, and i've a very strong interest in Cupressaceae, in particular Sequoia, and would love an opportunity to work with them in some shape or form.

I appreciate you may not be able to answer this, but you don't know if you don't ask :)

There are so many redwoods and tall trees here on the west coast, that you might find general arboriculture as interesting as specializing in coast redwoods.

For just coast redwood work like research, the niche is so tiny, its not realistic to get into that.

• 3 weeks later...

On March 14th, Redwood National Parks posted about a redwood called Big Tree in Prairie Creek, claiming it was 3rd largest. The truth is ... its a long way from 3rd largest, and there's virtually no way its an oversight. Not just because it was brought to their attention, but they talk about the biggest trees on a daily or weekly basis.

I wrote a blog post, and thought it was worth pointing out

Blog Post > Redwood National Park’s Fact Conundrum

Odds are they are trying to keep some trees hushed. But its not hard to keep quiet without distorting things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mario, if I can hijack for a brief moment; we visited Sequoia National Park on our latest trip to the U.S. And we're left distinctly underwhelmed. Spent all of an hour there compared with several days in the Coastal Redwood Forests. If you can only do one of the two head North of San Francisco. Way, way better.

• 2 weeks later...
Mario, if I can hijack for a brief moment; we visited Sequoia National Park on our latest trip to the U.S. And we're left distinctly underwhelmed. Spent all of an hour there compared with several days in the Coastal Redwood Forests. If you can only do one of the two head North of San Francisco. Way, way better.

There is a man in Germany who has a woman's clothing store. And he's a "tree geek" ... comes over to the USA like every year or two. He knows lots about big trees. He likes both forests, but he told me that the Coast Redwood forests of Humboldt and Del Norte counties in northern California are the greater experience.

On another note ..

This woman in this photo is from Eureka. Her friend texted me last night inquiring about doing photos with them. Maybe one, both, or with their other friend too.

They have a pole in their house for pole dancing. That may be part of the photo session. Otherwise, we may visit the beach at McKinnleyville north of Arcata and Eureka.

Melkor_2_1200.jpg

Edited by mdvaden