Chainsaw

Innkeeper

Again thanks for the replies

which lead to more questions Training is Lantra a business or a government thing like Sepa. If its just to cut logs for my own use isn't 5 days of training at a cost of £600+ OTT? I know we have to be safe. The ones I seen mention tree felling I just want to cut and split logs Is there not a sort of 1 day course to run through the basics and saftey side

You got any local foresters who could show you the basics ?? rules for saw use are covered in the manual and most is common sense , cross cutting is hardly rocket science.

Boots and trousers and lid and keep both hands on the saw and your thumb under the top handle :) and the saw to your side, be aware of kick back so try not to cut with the bar tip... Don't put it in the dirt !! , I would be more worried by getting crushed by your Arctic load of timber whilst cutting!

The old tickets used to have units for maintenance of the saw and cross-cutting (10 & 14 when I first did saw tickets, I think these got amalgamated into CS 30?). I assume you can still do this under the new system, should keep things relevant for you and reduce the cost slightly.

When you say the Inn is at the top of Scotland where are we talking? Caithness? Sutherland? Ross-shire? Some folk think north of Perth is the top of Scotland! :lol:

Right

I have used a chainsaw before to cut up a few logs someone give us

We get logging wagons past some of the time. So put them both together and you get a load of fire wood. I just want to have ago. So the plan was buy the logs and process them my self. It may even be cheaper to buy firewood in. When you think of it Sticks, saw splitter and training but would just like ago. So will

The Inn is in Sutherland north of Ullapool.

would like to add I dont have the wood or the saw yet am just doing the sums

Would also like to say the guy who us to own the place did it once and ended up paying some one to do it

Edited by Innkeeper
to add a bit

You need a husky 365. You also need a sharpening kit for a 3/8 chain (7/32). You need to learn to sharpen, watch some videos on YouTube. You need spare chains (these are about £25 each).

You do not need training like a pro, you are not a pro user and are not earning money from it. But it is advisable you get someone to show you the basics.

Don't cut with the nose/tip of the bar!

Teeth point away on top of bar, towards you on the bottom!

Use decent two stroke oil, not cheap stuff or red stuff! Use husky XP or Stihl hp super!

Don't use old fuel. Don't use engine oil for bar lube.