Kranman Bison

Big J

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked with an alpine, bca 30hp one and a 3 1/2 ton kranman trailer with a 4m crane on it, the loader strugled, was slow and we broke the end of the arm(twisted it, no reinforcing round the holes), the tractor used to hang up on anything taller than 6", so tall stumps or big roots were a problem, you would struggle to get 15ton out in a shift unless the ground was good, fortunatley we only had to use it because of low impact requirements, we now tend to use the winch, once you get things set up, its really fast, and a 2 man team can move a serious amount of timber quickly, as long as you set up your staging points close to rides or breaks rope length doesnt seem to be a problem. you can then get a decent size forwarder in to clear out with no ground damage, works well on first and second thinnings

we now tend to use the winch, once you get things set up, its really fast, and a 2 man team can move a serious amount of timber quickly, as long as you set up your staging points close to rides or breaks rope length doesnt seem to be a problem. you can then get a decent size forwarder in to clear out with no ground damage, works well on first and second thinnings

Add a twin drum winch and you cut out alot of walking, and speed thing up even more.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Arbtalk mobile app

I've worked with an alpine, bca 30hp one and a 3 1/2 ton kranman trailer with a 4m crane on it, the loader strugled, was slow and we broke the end of the arm(twisted it, no reinforcing round the holes), the tractor used to hang up on anything taller than 6", so tall stumps or big roots were a problem, you would struggle to get 15ton out in a shift unless the ground was good, fortunatley we only had to use it because of low impact requirements, we now tend to use the winch, once you get things set up, its really fast, and a 2 man team can move a serious amount of timber quickly, as long as you set up your staging points close to rides or breaks rope length doesnt seem to be a problem. you can then get a decent size forwarder in to clear out with no ground damage, works well on first and second thinnings

The extraction on the estate where we worked used to be done with a Carraro tractor and winch prior to the arrival of the Alstor - it was slow and more difficult to fell for.

I understand the versatility of a tractor and trailer, but given that it does not need to fulfill any function beyond extracting small diameter timber out of potentially awkward sites, can anyone suggest an alternative that will fit on a 16ft Ifor trailer?

Mini Excavator with Forwarding Trailer. Attach trailer to hitch on blade. Quick-hitch a uniforest grab. No lack of lift power, can lift the trailer etc, low pressure, good traction. Downsides are short reach, no 3pl, needs trailed... 7 tonner will run a keto 51... 5t would a stroke head.

An interesting suggestion certainly, and not one that I would have thought of. Still the haulage issues though - you might just get a 1.5t and forwarding trailer onto an Ifor trailer, but 1.5t excavators are horrible to operate. I'll look into it, though I think I'd be reasonably terrified to take it onto any kind of slope!

An interesting suggestion certainly, and not one that I would have thought of. Still the haulage issues though - you might just get a 1.5t and forwarding trailer onto an Ifor trailer, but 1.5t excavators are horrible to operate. I'll look into it, though I think I'd be reasonably terrified to take it onto any kind of slope!

Remember this:

Slow though for any forwarding distance; read the comments below the vid.

edit: you can put a 3t mini on a 14' 3500 kg 3-axle plant trailer so long as you fit EH brakes to the trailer; what my mate has done with his hilux. :thumbup:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Remember this:

Slow though for any forwarding distance; read the comments below the vid.

edit: you can put a 3t mini on a 14' 3500 kg 3-axle plant trailer so long as you fit EH brakes to the trailer; what my mate has done with his hilux. :thumbup:

OK, that is very bloody cool. Shorter reach on the crane, but made up for by having it slew all the way around the cab. Will seriously look into it as an alternative. That is a very, very easy site compared to most of what we would work on.

Having run my vimek 606 for a few months now i can say without doubt it is more productive than the kubota and farma trailer we used to run more productive than the alpine tractor and driven trailer and you can do it all in relative comfort with no worries about damage from brash and stumps because it is designed for the job. Both the kubota and alpine required a lot more nursing through the woods. On small thinnings i can get 25 to 30 ton per day on larger thinnings i have comfortably done 50t in a 6 hour day. Requires a 7.5t lorry for transport and yes it costs a bit but would not be without it now. We use a larger machine on clearfell sites but for thinnings its great. Only 1.8m wide so no need for racks on most sites. Apologies for the pictures not sure how to get them rotated!

59766bf67d1a4_Vimek606forwarder.jpg.c44f0ac3e2eb0e0a66876ad39d425573.jpg

59766bf67b71d_Vimek606contracting.jpg.fb00b7d9a2255bae1b3179d9ebe711c8.jpg

59766bf679937_Vimek606.jpg.0e57fd431d9e93d0eb547291103937d3.jpg