19'' or bigger mower suggestions

carpenter1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my vote is for a Husky R53SV. 21" deck, had my oldest 5 years now and we worked out its done about 4000 hours! serveced every year and blade sharpen and cant really fault it. i think there about £350 new but worth every penny.

will look at thanks

is it front driven?

does it not make marks when turning ?

Edited by carpenter1

well there's several questions to ask before really recommending one

what type of work is it going to do ?

how much do you want to spend ?

but for me and for durability alone i would go for a honda izy(had mine for 12 years still working to a good standard )

it's a 4 wheel model and very little to go wrong with it, easy and cheap to repair i have even had my deck welded as it's a steel deck (that was about 5 years ago ) no idea how many hours but it's defo in the 1000s

problem with all 4 wheeled mowers is that they leave tram lines on wet lawns so you shouldn't mow the same way all the time the only way round this is to run 2 mowers one with a roller and the Izy and us each mower in whatever leaves the best finish but this is more expensive

what i also did was buy the mulch plug for it this also gave it an extra blade on it making it a better mower it basically goes through anything (within reason )

yeh its front wheel drive, not perfect or ideal, but for £350 its the 1 piece of kit that makes me the most money! got to be sensable when mowing wet grass as any mower will leave marks or chew it up, clearly a £1000 honda will most likely be better but ive never got on well with the honda mowers. You've got to cut a hell of a lot of grass to cover the £700 price diffrence! To be honest the one thing i would change on the husky mower is the Honda engine... Dont know if the decks on the huskys are galvanised or not but 5 years old and no rust, mabe they are aluminium?

I'd go for a Viking 655...

Fast mowing with good collection.

I've been using a commercial toro super bagger for the last three seasons, great mower but very heavy!! Watch the weight of the mower for bankings and lifting in and out of the mower...

I've a customer with the toro time master which is a great mulching mower.

I always go for a three speed mower with a large grass bag.

I've used both husqvarna 53 and izy and ultimately you get what you pay for.

The Viking 655 (Abbey garden sales) is about 700 odd quid but will be a cracking mower.

I've never got on well with Honda mowers although I've about 6 machines with Honda engines!!

Good luck as its a bit of a mine field.

the bigger the box the better less emptying to do.

Not necessarily true. It depends on the airflow into the box how tight the grass gets packed.

Some mowers, like the Kaaz and the JD have fans which really belt the grass into the box, compacting it and fully filling the box. A small box, tightly packed holds more than a loosely packed large box.

yeh its front wheel drive, not perfect or ideal, but for £350 its the 1 piece of kit that makes me the most money! got to be sensable when mowing wet grass as any mower will leave marks or chew it up, clearly a £1000 honda will most likely be better but ive never got on well with the honda mowers. You've got to cut a hell of a lot of grass to cover the £700 price diffrence! To be honest the one thing i would change on the husky mower is the Honda engine... Dont know if the decks on the huskys are galvanised or not but 5 years old and no rust, mabe they are aluminium?

the honda izy is a base model starting from £250 - about £600

other honda's are expensive when you put a roller on them

I say go with a honda izy as they just go and go and go.:thumbup:

But then I would buy any mower with a honda engine if the rest of it was well made as well.

As above honda originals get expensive as you go up the range, and IF you splashed out for the Hondas (including the clones kaaz,cobra etc) with self drive be prepared for the drive gearbox to break as they ar c*** and expensive to fix!!:thumbdown:

I think the pro 4 wheel 21inch is hydrostatic and does not suffer the same problems with said gearboxes I think it's just the roller models.

Hopefully that's helps a bit.

Cheers Richard