Oil fired central heating..anyone?

pie eater pete

Boiler juice are expensive. I just phone round the local suppiers. Some are better than others though, one last year poured over 100 ltrs of water into our tank. Cost quite a lot to sort that one out.

That's interesting as I found them cheaper than all the local suppliers when I last had oil (April ish).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been oil dependent. There are no problems whatsoever. However there are a few pointers.

The oil tank must be in good order (clean inside) if it is near a watercourse it must be double bunded.

The boiler should be serviced annually, there will be service people in your area - it is only a two day course to get qualified so ensure you have a reputable/time served engineer! talk to the locals.

Grant and Wooster are the rolls royce of boilers others are ok too. All boilers should be run occasionally so condensation does not build up on the inside surfaces (they rot from the inside outward).

Group purchasing of oil is cheaper BUT they buy the cheapest oil. Our cheapest oil has algae suspended in it. This is from the supplier not cleaning the sides of their tanks where it grows. The algae will clog your filter and will build up in the pump - new pump will be required (£100 + fitting).

If finances allow in the future - add a H2 panel (or equivalent) and supplement the heating using a back boiler on your wood burner. I did 5 years ago its been fantastic, I have burned only a couple of gallons of oil in that time! I have burned a lot of wood though.

Good luck and lucky you for having current cheap oil prices!

That's interesting as I found them cheaper than all the local suppliers when I last had oil (April ish).

I always get the boilerjuice quote and then start phoning round the local suppliers. Give them what I've been quoted by the last person, until the quotes stop going down.

Boilerjuice won't haggle, the local guys always will.

My main concern is with the installation of the system. The boiler has been fitted inside the old chimney stack which is accessed via a vented chamber now. There seems to be a lot of dampness on the interior walls which i thought could be because of condensation from improperly fitted boiler?

HI PETE GET A CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM mate happy xmas to you keep off CIZZER :lol:thanks jon :thumbup: