awkward customer

tree climber

hi guys, just after a bit of advice really, recently qouted for a job to remove a row of lawson cypress in some ones front garden and to also grind out the stumps. the qoute was sent to them in form of a letter listing exactly what had been discussed and was sent back signed and accepted.

turned up to do the work client had said they were not going to be there so we just made a start. Anyway just as we felled the last tree the client appeared and then claimed that he did not want all the trees felled with just one left as all the water from his soakaway drained to this one tree?? i tried to reason with him and explained the nearby willow tree and ash had a far higher water uptake and showed him the qoute which clearly stated on both copies remove row of trees (basically a tall hedge). any way to cut a long story short i managed to calm the situation down by saying i would replant another tree. went back to do the stump grinding asked if there were any powercables bt line etc was told no cat scanned just incase and low and behold right next to the end tree stump power cable showed up so i couldnt grind that stump. to make matters worse he has bought a tree with 85 litre rootball to replant, there is no way i can plant that between the old stump and exsisting trees without causing more problems (i have told him its not the right time to plant the tree i think he just thinks im trying to get out of planting it though). im just looking for a bit of feedback from you guys as to how far i should go before just walking away and cutting my losses, i dont want to get a bad name for myself which is why i have tried to please the guy even though im sure i have done everything i should have.

this guy just doesnt want to pay you, simples. he is a chancer. you have already given in a bit with the replanting.. you are treating him fairly and he is being a idiot. uneven goal posts. it doesnt matter what others think and there is no point thinking what if he tells others i am dodgy or whatever it is you are worried about, you dont want this guys friends as customers. he signed the paperwork...the stump and power cables are out of your control. knock the price of the one stump off the bill and post it to him, if he lapses on payment hand it over to a lawyer. and get on with your life..the lawyer will charge you 60 quid for a letter and that gets put onto the numb nuts bill aswell. you were wise enough to get it in writing. i never years ago and am still owed money around my town. cant do anything about it. but the ones that did sign i got my money..good guys win. you have tried being reasonable, but he is just at it mate

how big is the stump thats left, the lecky cable should be 18 inch below g/leval ,can you expose the cable by hand & then see if you can the grinder in

Why risk catching the cable, a no-goer in my opinion. Esp on this particular job, if it can go wrong it probably will.:001_smile:

i fried a battery when jump starting a compressor off the tractor when i was 16. it was a negative earth. how was i to know?hadnt been told and the leads were the usual colours. my boss took 30 quid off me, and that was a weeks wages. i hated him from that day on, and went out my way to wind him up, i lost interest very quickly and all respect for him. i was only 16 and thought i knew best. so i had it out with him and demanded more money. guess who needed a new job the next day, but i got one. he had left me on a job with a dodgey compressor, an old tractor all by myself with no training, and a set of jump leads..

i fried a battery when jump starting a compressor off the tractor when i was 16. it was a negative earth. how was i to know?hadnt been told and the leads were the usual colours. my boss took 30 quid off me, and that was a weeks wages. i hated him from that day on, and went out my way to wind him up, i lost interest very quickly and all respect for him. i was only 16 and thought i knew best. so i had it out with him and demanded more money. guess who needed a new job the next day, but i got one. he had left me on a job with a dodgey compressor, an old tractor all by myself with no training, and a set of jump leads..

stevei are you sure your on the right thread old boy :confused1: