Walnut timber - Is this worth anything/of use to anyone?

JaySmith

That's just a bit silly though isn't it, when you think about it. I'll explain.

Assuming an average trunk diameter of 17.5", you've got 437 cubic foot in those 40 lengths. A good mobile bandmill operator will cut those in two days. Even though they are fairly small, you'd still have no problem shifting them at £18 a cubic foot, meaning a revenue of £7866 for two days graft (before delivery or dealing with customers) less about a grand for the sawmill hire. £6600 profit once additional labour has been taken into account if you like.

437 cubic foot translates to 16 tonnes, which would yield 40 cubic metres of firewood or thereabouts. More than two days work with a splitter and a maximum retail of £3200 or less. More work, less money and you have to wait a year to see a return. If you air dried the sawn walnut, you could double your £7866.

Why the hell people even consider firewooding trees like this is beyond me. It's like saying that you'd like to make less money for more work and you'd like to deal with a more difficult customer base just as a bonus :001_huh:

That is just one of the reasons that I've just bought a bandsaw mill. (AAnd I'm in Kent! :) )

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's already cut in to firewood so why ask?

should ask before it's felled as you won't get much from it now...

Not really cut I into firewood, it's been cut into rings that the guys could get out through a garage and a small passage. I didn't go and quote this one so turned up on site to dismantle it and get the wood out. When we get to site we just crack on as I don't know any turners of wood working types I just went about the job as normal it was only when I started chogging the timber I thought it may be worth something to somebody that's why I put it up. I don't have a use for it except to keep me warm in the winter but I thought if somebody could make better use of it I will offer it up.

The only way to get that out in bigger bits would have been to crane it over tr house (which we have done before) but as you probably know this involves a crane, road closures, permits etc and not something I could have sorted out at 8.30 in the morning with money needed for be made for the day

That's just a bit silly though isn't it, when you think about it. I'll explain.

Assuming an average trunk diameter of 17.5", you've got 437 cubic foot in those 40 lengths. A good mobile bandmill operator will cut those in two days. Even though they are fairly small, you'd still have no problem shifting them at £18 a cubic foot, meaning a revenue of £7866 for two days graft (before delivery or dealing with customers) less about a grand for the sawmill hire. £6600 profit once additional labour has been taken into account if you like.

437 cubic foot translates to 16 tonnes, which would yield 40 cubic metres of firewood or thereabouts. More than two days work with a splitter and a maximum retail of £3200 or less. More work, less money and you have to wait a year to see a return. If you air dried the sawn walnut, you could double your £7866.

Why the hell people even consider firewooding trees like this is beyond me. It's like saying that you'd like to make less money for more work and you'd like to deal with a more difficult customer base just as a bonus :001_huh:

Shifting timber is a lot easier said than done the mills are not interested half the time, wood turners will have the odd bit & will tell you what to keep an eye out for but most have limited storage so they can't take much.

Firewood will always sell so although it often seems extremely wasteful it is often the only way to shift wood. I know someone with a large quantity of oak beams (formerly ship timbers) potentially worth thousands but even they will probably end up as firewood as they have only sold about half a dozen in the last 5 years or so & they went out for next to nothing.

Shifting timber is a lot easier said than done the mills are not interested half the time, wood turners will have the odd bit & will tell you what to keep an eye out for but most have limited storage so they can't take much.

Firewood will always sell so although it often seems extremely wasteful it is often the only way to shift wood. I know someone with a large quantity of oak beams (formerly ship timbers) potentially worth thousands but even they will probably end up as firewood as they have only sold about half a dozen in the last 5 years or so & they went out for next to nothing.

That is pretty sad regarding the beams. I've had difficulty shifting more unusual timbers when sawn (I tried milling up about a 100 cubic foot of poplar a couple of years ago for rough joinery, and whilst I've sold enough to cover my costs, it's only trickling out) but run of the mill species like Oak, Elm, Ash etc always go eventually. You just have to market them hard and price accordingly.

Shame it had to be cut into short lengths - if you get anything which can be extracted long or milled where it falls I'd be interested as Mum lives in Hartley so I'm down that way quite often.

If anyone wants some of this I might be able to transport it for them - I drive up and down the A1 quite a bit and sometimes over to Derby.

Alec

Ok mate we do get some decent butts where we can use a hiab. I will let you know if we do as our yard is about 5 mins from Hartley

Cheers