Fish Recipes

Dean Lofthouse

I want to start eating more fish, the only fish I eat are ones from the chippy, tins of tuna or tins of sardines.

I want to start eating fresh fish from the fish mongers and want to know what fish are very very tasty and some "quick" recipes that I can do.

Something like wazz it in some tin foil with olive oil and some herbs and bung in the oven for....

I passed the fish monger the other day and the variety of fish is bewildering, didn't want to look a pratt not knowing what to get and then not knowing what to do with it.

farmed bass and bream are very good, make sure the eyes are bright and not sunk in....

Forget the tin foil, just put the fish whole on a non stick oven tray, lemon slices in the cavity, salt pepper olive oil on the skin, through in a a few olives, cherry toms, and add a glug of white wine around the fish, hey presto 'Pesce al forno' or in English fish from the oven.......

Mackerel on the bbq salt only is good, but they need to be ultra fresh, skate wings fried are excellent, I make a lemon and caper sauce to put over my skate, simply melt some butter in a pan add a teaspoon chopped capers and the juice of a lemon, bring to the boil and pour over your skate wings..

Fresh preparred squid rings in a very light beer batter are good, yet your fish monger to prepare your squid..

We'll move on to stewed polpo next week :001_tt1: [octopus]....

Have you got a makros in town Dean? really good fish come in on wednesday

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We often do a fish stew, its lovely - put the pan in the middle of the table couple of small bowls and big chunk of fresh bread!!...washerd down with a few glasses of Chablis, perfect!!

Ingredients

700g/1½lb white fish fillets - whatever is available and looks good, a mixture of fish is fine

500g/1 lb 2oz mussels or clams

350g/12oz cleaned squid, cut into rings (optional, but an excellent addition)

4 shallots, thinly sliced

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tbsp coriander seeds

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

2 x 400g/14oz tins chopped tomatoes

2 tbsp tomato purée

1-2 tbsp sugar

3 tbsp Pernod or Noilly Prat

2 strips dried orange peel (fresh peel will not be as good. To make your own leave some strips of zest to dry on a wire rack for a few days then keep in an airtight jar)

1 chunky sprig of thyme

300ml/½ pint fish stock

salt

freshly ground black pepper

rice or crusty bread, to serve

Method

1. Cut the fish fillets into pieces about 4cm/1.5in across.

2. Scrub the mussels clean, pull away any beards and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Throw away any that have broken shells.

3. Mussels that are gaping open should be tapped firmly on the work surface. If they close up they are fine, but if they remain open discard them.

4. If using clams, rinse thoroughly and discard any that do not close when tapped firmly.

5. Cook the shallots, garlic and coriander seeds gently in the oil until the shallots are tender and translucent.

6. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, Pernod or Noilly Prat, orange peel, thyme and a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer down until thick.

7. Stir in the fish stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for two minutes, taste and adjust seasoning. The stew base is now ready.

8. Shortly before you wish to eat, bring the base back to the boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook for about three minutes.

9. Then add the fish and the squid, cover again and simmer gently for a final 2-3 minutes until the mussels or clams have all opened (discard any that stay firmly shut).

10. Serve straight away in large bowls with rice or warm, crusty bread.

Not picking on your recipe mate, I'm sure it tastes great! but are you sure you havn't got corriander seeds mixed up with fennel seeds? in France ''bouillabaisse'' which in essence your recipe is always calls on fennel seeds, you can also add a small pinch of Saffron to the soup/stew...

We serve bouillabaisse, the juice/soup first with croutons and garlic mayo 'aiolli' and the poached fish as a main course, served with spuds,Marseille style..

Edited by Lee Winger

Im impressed @ the culinary skills of you guys, all of the above sounds beautiful.. i cant even cook fish fingers!!

hahaha, lets hope you marry someone who can cook, you'll both starve to death otherwise.

Good job our lass can cook, otherwise it'd be baked beans on toast for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper :001_smile:

Poached Poachers Trout

Ingredients-

A good torch

Some camo gear

Some tnt

Net

Nerves of steal

Method-Take the tnt out of your camo gear pocket, set a detinater on a timer and throw it in the estate fisherie, nxt swiftly put your fingers in your ears and duck! Wait for big bang, let water settle, nxt take net and torch and bag yourself some trout and run like f$*k! Now you have successfully poached your trout you can take them to the pub and swap for some real grub!

Nxt week more food from the estate... he he

LMFAO

Seriously i do eat a lot of fish, and think all your recipes are great, will be trying them v.soon.

Tuna or swordfish steaks are easy, just a quick fry on each side. Real tuna tastes lovely, not like the the stuff in tins.

i pan fry tuna steaks with a dash of light soy sauce in the pan, then when plating up, i pour the juices and the soy sauce over the tuna steak.