Protos helmets

palborough

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sordins wouldn't attatch into the clip inside the helmet CJM....protos ear defenders bend the opposite way to regular ones and are half the size so msa's wouldn't integrate into the lid either.I find it perfect but I do the climbing so don't spend much time at the chipper these days abd it cancels the chainsaw adequately enough for me...and like I said I have the dial set at maximum ear pressure...

I've been looking into the ratings of the ear defenders on the protos, and it seems they aren't even adequate for most chainsaws. The 201t is just acceptable, though the dB rating of a t540 is above what the SNR of protos ear defenders can cover to stay within current HSE guidelines. Most saws from the two main manufacturers are above the protos' capabilities.

I know we all have variable exposures with vibration, a large proportion of us use saws in ways we're not supposed to, but why risk your hearing to look like a ninja? Once it's gone, it's gone.

Edited by Dan Curtis

Love mine to bits - best investment I've made[ATTACH]170372[/ATTACH]. Matt

These helmets are that good at protecting your head, this picture is actually a picture of a guy who was killed by the falling tree but his helmet wasn't harmed not even a scratch.

I would love one of these helmets for thAt reason and the fact the look great

BUT

I cannot justify compromising my hearing for the sake of my face being identifiable when a tree falls on me and to look good in the process. I'm 24 in jan and if I use one of these bad boy for the rest of my career I'm bound to have problem when it's time to put my feet up. Also the use of earplugs is a no no for me as they just don't agree with me and I guess I'm stubborn in the way of not wanting to buy the most expensive helmet in the world and then having to add to it because it's not sufficient!

Good info Dan...my main reason for using the Protos is its completely non snag and comfort superb all round vision and the fact you feel so protected Skull wise...my hearing diminished years ago mainly from very loud music events unfortunately...my mother says I get louder every year....maybe thats why the defenders seem ok to me. Ive used every lid over the last 20 years available and this is the most capable ive worn...but bearing in mind what both you and Matty F have found out then I think Pfanner should address this. By the way, the last thing I want to look like is a Ninja!.....I,ve wanted to be a Stormtrooper ever since the first Star Wars.

Edited by silky fox

Pardon?

Say what? :D

Good info Dan...my main reason for using the Protos is its completely non snag and comfort superb all round vision and the fact you feel so protected Skull wise...my hearing diminished years ago mainly from very loud music events unfortunately...my mother says I get louder every year....maybe thats why the defenders seem ok to me. Ive used every lid over the last 20 years available and this is the most capable ive worn...but bearing in mind what both you and Matty F have found out then I think Pfanner should address this. By the way, the last thing I want to look like is a Ninja!.....I,ve wanted to be a Stormtrooper ever since the first Star Wars.

I agree, they should've addressed it before bringing it to market though. I'll give you the stormtrooper what with yours being white....... Little bit like the white power ranger though :P

Another Protos fact....MSA Sordins are 31snr, it might not seem a big difference to the Protos' 23snr, but it's just over 34% more noise cancelling.

Another Protos fact....MSA Sordins are 31snr, it might not seem a big difference to the Protos' 23snr, but it's just over 34% more noise cancelling.

It's acutally much more difference than that.

31 dB - 23 dB (SNR) gives a difference of 8 dB. But sound intensity is measured using a logarithmic scale, where a 3 dB change is equal to double/half the sound pressure. So when 23 dB SNR unit lets through about 6 times (600%) as much sound energy as a 31 dB SNR unit.

It's acutally much more difference than that.

31 dB - 23 dB (SNR) gives a difference of 8 dB. But sound intensity is measured using a logarithmic scale, where a 3 dB change is equal to double/half the sound pressure. So when 23 dB SNR unit lets through about 6 times (600%) as much sound energy as a 31 dB SNR unit.

I stand corrected :thumbup:

Makes it sound even worse!

Yeah I'm well aware of how good the Sordins with the red band are.and I know the top of the range peltor muffs are extremely good...I still wouldn't give up everything else the Protos has to offer. (Remember I'm pretty much mutton Jeff) still don't want to be a white power ranger...they came way after my time..I'm from the Captain Scarlet era.