110 Tipper.

Tom D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI KIETH what other BITS THEN thanks jon :thumbup:

Was a long time, but from memory it's front springs, rear springs and assisters, extended front bump stops, and then depending what wheels you have they may not be suitable for the higher rear axle load.

Just to clarify scraggs, where did you get the info from?

I'd love to see the actual facts written down, I mean a spec list from such as VOSA or DOT?

If you go through the defender parts lists you can see what bits are different.

I have spoken to our local VOSA office about it, they were fine with it, so long as it had the changes made, personally I would only do it if the Local Land Rover dealer could inspect it and get a proper factory plate.

I believe there are a few members on here who have done it, and iirc one of those had a new plate stamped by land rover.

If I ever get around to doing my 110, I will upgrade it to 3500kg, that was when I looked into it, but was a few years ago.

there is a bit of info on the landy forums about it aswell.

I stand to be corrected but I think most 3500kg landies have the heavier duty Salisbury axle, and that was also fitted to high capacity pick ups, and the high cap was available as a 3500kg option.

Edited by scraggs

I have spoken to our local VOSA office about it, they were fine with it, so long as it had the changes made, personally I would only do it if the Local Land Rover dealer could inspect it and get a proper factory plate.

I believe there are a few members on here who have done it, and iirc one of those had a new plate stamped by land rover.

If I ever get around to doing my 110, I will upgrade it to 3500kg, that was when I looked into it, but was a few years ago.

I stand to be corrected but I think most 3500kg landies have the heavier duty Salisbury axle, and that was also fitted to high capacity pick ups, and the high cap was available as a 3500kg option.

Yes, I agree there's lots and lots of info around detailing the manufacturers differences, but it's not upto them!

This subject keeps arising and has been chewed over time and again, BUT, no one ever seems to be able to produce any literature stating what the "authorities" require😳

Yes, I agree there's lots and lots of info around detailing the manufacturers differences, but it's not upto them!

This subject keeps arising and has been chewed over time and again, BUT, no one ever seems to be able to produce any literature stating what the "authorities" require😳

TBH VOSA weren't really that interested, I mentioned about taking it in for an SVA if they wanted and they said there would be no need.

I should have got it in writing and had I proceeded I would have tried to. I also ran it past the NFU as it was them that will insure it and all the underwriters wanted was a copy of the MOT, But at the end of the day if you were involved in a fatal accident it's VOSA that will need satisfying.

I would assume that the design was approved at 3500kg when land rover built them, so don't see why it would be an issue provided it was upgraded to the same spec.

TBH VOSA weren't really that interested, I mentioned about taking it in for an SVA if they wanted and they said there would be no need.

I should have got it in writing and had I proceeded I would have tried to. I also ran it past the NFU as it was them that will insure it and all the underwriters wanted was a copy of the MOT, But at the end of the day if you were involved in a fatal accident it's VOSA that will need satisfying.

I would assume that the design was approved at 3500kg when land rover built them, so don't see why it would be an issue provided it was upgraded to the same spec.

BUT, where does it say it has to be?:confused1:

All 110s are fitted with Salisbury rear axles regardless of weight class this is up until the late td5 onward which then use the uprated standard looking axle !

The 3500kgs also had strength added to the chassis in certain areas iirc a lot had both front and rear anti roll bars and other than springs and shocks there standard as said make sure the wheels are rated to the weight ! N