Home made extra blade for processor.

Woodworks

Think you will be surprised how well the mild steel will last.

Despite what people say ive seen splitters with blades made out of mild steel and they have lasted the duration. No doubt there is some soft mild steels out there tho which ont stand the test.

If you do have to make another for whatever reason I may have some 12mm plate offcut laying around as ive been using it making up a splitter at present (depending what size you need obviously)

In reality it is not going to have toughest of life in comparison with the four and six way splitting blades so it will probably survive but only time will tell.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A yard I worked in as a lad had a diesel engine powered reciprocating splitter, like a piston running off the flywheel on a single cylinder Lister engine and the splitting end was made of ductile iron cast at the local foundry and used to last well. Mild steel should be well up to the job.

• 6 months later...

The blade in principle works fine but mild steel has not proved up to the job and have had to bash it straight countless times :thumbdown:

Anyone know what sort of steel I need for a splitting blade?

Spoken to several steel stockholders and engineers and have not had ANY suggestions of what kind of steel it needs to be or where to source some.

Edit. Just re read the thread and see that Callum recommended this firm and I presume this is the product he had in mind. http://www.whitesmh.co.uk/single-bevel-edge.html

Edited by Woodworks

The blade in principle works fine but mild steel has not proved up to the job and have had to bash it straight countless times :thumbdown:

Anyone know what sort of steel I need for a splitting blade?

Spoken to several steel stockholders and engineers and have not had ANY suggestions of what kind of steel it needs to be or where to source some.

Edit. Just re read the thread and see that Callum recommended this firm and I presume this is the product he had in mind. Whites Material Handling, Bristol - Single Bevel Edge

A piece of high carbon steel etc will cost a bit from a steel stockholder but an old telehandler cutting edge from your local farmer/contractor might be just scrap price. Alternatively a suitable plough piece from your local agricultural dealer might also be cheaper as you could buy the size you want.

Sorry that's a lot bigger than I thought you would need. Woodberry Chilcott Plymouth would be worth a call. I have bought several pieces of special steel from them in the past and they have always been helpful. Explain what you need it for and they will do their best to sort it for you. That will be a fair chunk of money though. Can you go thicker rather than stronger.

Sorry that's a lot bigger than I thought you would need. Woodberry Chilcott Plymouth would be worth a call. I have bought several pieces of special steel from them in the past and they have always been helpful. Explain what you need it for and they will do their best to sort it for you. That will be a fair chunk of money though. Can you go thicker rather than stronger.

No the thickness of 12mm is dictated by the slot it runs in. Thanks for Woodberry Chilcott sugestion.