084 meteor piston?

billpierce

I fitted a Golf piston in an MS880 a while ago. If you use the original circlips you should be OK. Some say the OEM piston has a steel insert in the crown but a magnet didn't detect it and cant see it would bond very well or the thinner top part of the crown would be strong.

Personally, if the only option is Golf then try one....what can go wrong:001_huh::lol:

I've only used it for half a day or so since the new piston went in, I wasn't sure about it but thought for £25 delivered it was worth a shot, I have a 395xp so the 84 doesn't come out much .

I had the same thoughts with my 660, the ring on the cheaply piston snapped after a few hours work and wrecked the OEM cylinder, ended up costing me a new OEM top end

I had the same thoughts with my 660, the ring on the cheaply piston snapped after a few hours work and wrecked the OEM cylinder, ended up costing me a new OEM top end

That was a bummer, the rings and circlips are the weak points on the cheap pistons. It is worth fitting OEM clips and OEM/Caber rings on cheap pistons if that is the only option available. Live and learn.....usually the hard way:blushing::thumbdown:

That was a bummer, the rings and circlips are the weak points on the cheap pistons. It is worth fitting OEM clips and OEM/Caber rings on cheap pistons if that is the only option available. Live and learn.....usually the hard way:blushing::thumbdown:

Was just about to say the same but you beat me to it.

On a 084 buy the best you can. As already said if something does go wrong your in for an expensive ride with an 084 if it goes and damages the cylinder as there are no aftermarket cylinders available.

The 88/880 cylinder uses a different stud pattern so wont fit.

• 3 weeks later...