I'quite heavy and just asking for advice on foot macanical accent

Pbtaylor2014

the consensus of my clients is that the new pantin is just fine, the only advantage of the old one being that you could put a biner in to stop unintentional removal of the rope but i have never found this an issue anyway. Many of my clients have bought the CT one and not a single client that has tried both prefers the CT as far as i've heard. The early kong was a joke with the foot strap coming undone but i've heard a rumor that they've solved this now, I hated the CT one, didn't run anything like the petzl until rope weight was added. there are new prototypes out there which will be on line in the next year or so but nothing that i can see setting the world on fire or stealing petzls deserved market share

i'm sure that some people like the ct but in my experience these tend to be people that don't/ haven't owned a pantin some of them freely admit to me that they just want to be different lol

absolute tosh

the new pantin is a poorly made, vastly in superior version of the old one. petzl have really dropped one by changing the old design. I know plenty of experienced guys who feel the same way and these guys like myself are using these things daily and in a commercial environment

there are some really good alternatives out there right now, the CT version is holding up well for me, and once you get into the habit of reaching down to unclip it, it is fine to use. the benefits of it not unclipping far outway the minor 'annoyance' of having to unclip

the Camp Turbo foot seems ok, the small pulleys mean you can ascend with very little rope below your foot (1-2ft) how durable it will be im not sure. the CT and Camp foot ascenders are boot available from treekit Ascenders

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is Timon.

I haven't heard a single good thing about the new Pantin, and I need to replace my old one as the spring is pretty tired.

I'll probably go for the CT unless anyone in the UK is stocking the Camp one, which does look pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Treekit.com stock the camp ascender. I've had a go on most of the foot ascenders. Depends on your preference but the camp one self tends better than CT and has the option of lock or not. CT doesn't have an unlock setting.. New Pants-tin doesn't have a lock with carib option as the old one did, but you can put a keyring thing in there that'll do the trick. See instagram for pics and others slagging off Petzl.!! Also the kernmaster rope with its 48 strands can lead to ascender slippage if the teeth aren't aggressive enough (Camp)

Totally agree with Mr Shutler, I've seen broken pantin bodies, straps and buckles wearing and snapping in a very short time, bad springs. Not a quality product I wouldn't say.

You can also get the ct without the locking lever, which would be my choice as I've never had big issues with the rope skipping out. This is all hypothetical though as I began collecting the old style pantins and spare straps as soon as I tried a new one...