Stihl ms 201 = crap!!!

simonm

I have refurbed many MS200Ts 10-12 years old, there are typical components that do fail but the saws are still able to perform and are far better than the earlier version of the MS201 - cant comment on the later ones!

You asked what a service includes, my services get the saw back to full working serviceable order with new parts to avoid failure in the near - mid future - replacing clutch springs is a regular occurence as is chain catchers - it stops the saw failing in a months time for £5 worth of spares!

The later ones are great.

Tbh I haven't got time for old rebuilt saws, it's a working tool not a vintage car, they're ok for back up, but if I'm earning money with them I'll opt for newer stuff. A day lost because of a old topper is nearly the cost of a new one.

Most pros I know carry spare saws, do their own maintenance and minor repairs, then they get fixed when stuff goes wrong, they stop, or a bit breaks off.

I've never known one say to me, "I'm putting my saw in for a service" when it's working ok.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The later ones are great.

Tbh I haven't got time for old rebuilt saws, it's a working tool not a vintage car, they're ok for back up, but if I'm earning money with them I'll opt for newer stuff. A day lost because of a old topper is nearly the cost of a new one.

Most pros I know carry spare saws, do their own maintenance and minor repairs, then they get fixed when stuff goes wrong, they stop, or a bit breaks off.

I've never known one say to me, "I'm putting my saw in for a service" when it's working ok.

TBH, much of what I get is the saw that has been thrown under the bench months before and then the owner is faced with spending out £500 or seeing if the old scrapper is fixeable which it often is for well under £200 inc spares!

Not sure that I would call MS200s "Vintage"! Had many through my workshop and they go out as fully working tools that will give a year or twos service until needing another going over.

I get a few in that are working but need a service - usually just a damn good farm out and perhaps one or two issues but not enough to stop the saw being used!

So you never take your car in for service or have the oil changed or brakes checked???? All machines have parts that wear and changing them before failure extends the life of the machine and the reliabillity in use.

Just my opinion and that of many of my customers. Many can't afford to swap their equipment out after 1-2 years use!

Sure I service the vehicles, change oil and filters regularly. Change tyres and brake pads.

Do any of those need doing on a chainsaw? Clean air filter, have a look at the plug if it misses.

Spud, don't get me wrong I'm aware you've forgotten more about saws than I've ever known.

But (speaking to climbers) if after two years you cannot afford to update a topper, and you have to make do with an old one, you're pricing is way off.

Sure I service the vehicles, change oil and filters regularly. Change tyres and brake pads.

Do any of those need doing on a chainsaw? Clean air filter, have a look at the plug if it misses.

Spud, don't get me wrong I'm aware you've forgotten more about saws than I've ever known.

But (speaking to climbers) if after two years you cannot afford to update a topper, and you have to make do with an old one, you're pricing is way off.

First bit - the chainsaw doesn't have brake pads - love the humour, am splitting my sides :001_rolleyes::lol:Filters - air, fuel, gauze carb filter and oil pick up strainer are found on saws.....I have also lost count of the number of saws I have had in that have perhaps a month left on their clutch springs and a broken one will make a non working saw. Then there are worn brake bands. Caught some older saws with leaking seals that would have caused seizes within 6 months but maintenence....each man to his own!

I was 20 years in manufacturing and preventitive maintenance was carried out on all machines as running 24 hr shifts put a lot of strain on the equipment and cost a fortune if we had downtime.

As far as climbers using old saws, all I can do is ask for comments from some of them as I believe some of the guys I have done them for are industry rated climbers who are at the top of their game but am not going to name drop. Perhaps it is using a saw they know and rely on as a tried and trusted option - I don't know...I just fix em:thumbup:

I'm more than willing to buy new saws when needed but my climbers prefer the 200's over the newer toppers so two saws go out with the team each day and i rotate them with the spare saws when they do start playing up. Generally they just need a good clean out and reset the carbs.

I find that most of my "Pro user" customers will not have their saws fully serviced, but just bring them in for running repairs.

And if repairs are likely to cost more than a couple of hundred they would sooner buy new.

I often get the "it won't idle that great and it is a pig to start" and my quick explanation of what I will service convinces most that it would be a good thing to get it fully sorted!

I don't get many that are running sweetly when they come in!

I find that most of my "Pro user" customers will not have their saws fully serviced, but just bring them in for running repairs.

And if repairs are likely to cost more than a couple of hundred they would sooner buy new.

This is my attitude.

Old saws are old saws, you can throw money at them and make them run, but the are still old, things get sloppy and lose.

I get a new climbing saw every couple of years.

My current 201 is great.