Stihl ms 201 = crap!!!

simonm

I've had my ms 201t for just under 2 years, during that time it has been agonsingly painful, tedious, slow cutting, slow to pick up! the only good thing seems to be the build quality! however today it has had 0 power when cutting to the point where it stalls, start it again same thing :thumbdown: cost just short of £500 to buy, now under 2 years its knackered! i haven't abused it or anything just general use. What top handle is there that wont fall apart or refuse to cut? that will last the duration? the only 1 im looking at is the Husqvarna T540xp, whats it like? pros and cons :confused1:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it's sort of old news but something changed, Stihl won't admit it but like you I bought a 201 when the 200 finally let go. It was boggy, slow, and generally poor, far worse than its predecessor. It can be helped a bit with a couple of holes drilled in the exhaust.

Do a search on 201 mods on here, you'll see.

So I got a job requiring two climbers so against my better judgement I bought another.

What a difference! Responsive, quick, everything the old one wasn't.

Many others have had the same experience, like I say, stihl won't admit it or they'd be an expensive recall.

The 540 is the best very fast in the cut, little more fragile, little niggle on the rear av, but great nevertheless.

I've had my ms 201t for just under 2 years, during that time it has been agonsingly painful, tedious, slow cutting, slow to pick up! the only good thing seems to be the build quality! however today it has had 0 power when cutting to the point where it stalls, start it again same thing :thumbdown: cost just short of £500 to buy, now under 2 years its knackered! i haven't abused it or anything just general use. What top handle is there that wont fall apart or refuse to cut? that will last the duration? the only 1 im looking at is the Husqvarna T540xp, whats it like? pros and cons :confused1:

have you thought of getting it serviced ????