chip and log sites around the UK

Rt400

Also in respect of chip dont get caught with the composting rules especially run off from woodchip piles into rivers.

I'm aware of the requirement to keep it contained, and the minimum distance from watercourses. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Alec

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the basics

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/296580/geho0612bwqv-e-e.pdf

Then you also need the permission to burn it

Then once burnt you need permission to spread the ash on the land as fertilizer.

The more worrying fact is even with all the right exemptions and permissions from EA you may still get caught by the local council for not having planning permission.

Paperwork?

If it comes in as virgin woodchip, the burner is providing useful heat, clean burning and less than 300kW(t) nothing. If the chip comes in as clean untreated vegetation waste with a transfer note you need exemption U4 I think, still haven't got my head round the paper chain once it's burnt.

All seems to be geared towards sub 400KW boilers not the 990 and bigger that we have.

As I read it a T6 exemption allows for waste wood to be chipped for ease of transport or conversion into wood fuel for biomass boilers. If I am interperating this correctly then all the tree surgeon needs is a T6 and he can dispose of his chip at a nearby biomass plant.

All seems to be geared towards sub 400KW boilers not the 990 and bigger that we have.

As I read it a T6 exemption allows for waste wood to be chipped for ease of transport or conversion into wood fuel for biomass boilers. If I am interperating this correctly then all the tree surgeon needs is a T6 and he can dispose of his chip at a nearby biomass plant.

These are the big boys rules, for anything over 400kw you should be working under permit.

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/pollution/ppc/localauth/pubs/guidance/notes/pgnotes/documents/pg1-12.pdf

These are the big boys rules, for anything over 400kw you should be working under permit.

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/pollution/ppc/localauth/pubs/guidance/notes/pgnotes/documents/pg1-12.pdf

Thanks for that info.

While it looks like our boilers would comply with the regs with some extra monitoring, I don't think we would want to go down that route. Too much hassle for a small quantity of chip.

I have always considered waste wood to be waste from a manufacturing process or recycling, totally different to normal biomass wood fuel. Unless I am missing something arb waste is clean wood but named waste by those who cut it.

As I understand it wood chip from virgin timber can be burnt in biomass boilers only subject to the clean air act. So if the 'arb waste' chip is from virgin timber surely it follows that it is allowed to be burnt in biomass boilers without a waste wood permit.

Thanks for that info.

While it looks like our boilers would comply with the regs with some extra monitoring, I don't think we would want to go down that route. Too much hassle for a small quantity of chip.

So your boilers are bigger than 300MW?

I have always considered waste wood to be waste from a manufacturing process or recycling, totally different to normal biomass wood fuel. Unless I am missing something arb waste is clean wood but named waste by those who cut it.

Waste is defined as something needing to be discarded from an operation and the full definition specifies the circumstances when something becomes a waste, arb arisings are waste but the EA position statement, simply put, is that virgin wood (even though it *may* come under the definition of waste) will not be treated as such, subject to the qualifications I gave. Virgin wood does not include predominantly foliage, hedge clippings etc. So some vegetation will be waste and subject to waste controls. To burn this will require the U4 exemption or come under the waste incineration directive. It is possible to have even an exempt WID compliant incinerator but with woody material it would be limited, and capable of, only 200kW (40kg/hour)

As I understand it wood chip from virgin timber can be burnt in biomass boilers only subject to the clean air act. So if the 'arb waste' chip is from virgin timber surely it follows that it is allowed to be burnt in biomass boilers without a waste wood permit.

Yes as long as it is virgin wood and not hedge clippings, but the size limit still applies and the arborist doesn't need the T6 unless he takes it from the place of production and then chips it but a non domestic land owner would need a U12 or U13 to leave other vegetative waste on site.

So even if it is not virgin wood vegetative waste may be burnt in the same boiler as virgin wood but does need a U4 exemption.

As Renewblejohn has pointed out once you get into bigger boilers or treated wood it is s different ball game

Thanks for the clarification Openspaceman. I presume you meant 300kw not MW. We have 4 MW total so are in the 300KW to 20MW band.

Not burning leaves makes sense and I imagine difficult to exclude. This is a fairly new area for me so thanks to all for the info.

I don't think I shall be on the list.

Yes I meant 300kW. You are well into the realms of needing a permit from your local authority. I have worked on boilers of this size but was not involved with the permits. In fact one installation at Milton Keynes had two boilers next to each other, the 1 MW one burned only virgin woodchip and the 200kW one was an exempted incinerator. The two ashes were not to be mixed.