Suggestions for lanyard setup?

cerneARB

Right,A snap hook would pass loler if it functioned properly,I would also make a comment on the loler inspection sheet that it was not approved in Arboriculture as its not industry best practice to use it.So if its used in a system i could fail it.

Not sure what any other loler inspectors think.

So it is fit for purpose as you have just said you WOULD pass it, im not bothered about your comments about best practice etc etc, it either passes or fails according to a laid down standard not what you think is right or wrong.

Brings up the argument again as to why we LOLER stuff as it seems you all have differant takes on what you think is good and bad.

Edited by Ian C

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If snap hooks are't fit for purpose then how come alot of flip lines are sold with them on?...saying that i use 3 ways haha

Its not so much they are not fit for purpose as they clearly are, and if any loler inspector would fail one that is in good working order, well i wont say it.

Technically we should not be using them, they come on fliplines mainly because these are made for other markets with different regulations like the States.

So it is fit for purpose as you have just said you WOULD pass it, im not bothered about your comments about best practice etc etc, it either passes or fails according to a laid down standard not what you think is right or wrong.

Brings up the argument again as to why we LOLER stuff as it seems you all have differant takes on what you think is good and bad.

It is not approved in the approved code of practice for Arboriculture as stated in the Good Tree Climbing Practice.

I think you will find that if it is written on your inspection sheet that its not recomended for use in tree work & you have an accident that the HSE are brought in to investigate they will ask to see your inspection sheets & could ask why you carried on using it which could also affect your insurance.

If a Loler inspector deems a peice of kit unsafe to use & the user carrys on using it they have a right to inform relavent authorites about it.

Hmmm quite interesting that,our snap hooks have been LOLER'd many times and he's never even mentioned them? Wot would a LOLER inspector say about u using 10mm rope for an adjustable lanyard because im thinking of doin this myself?

Hmmm quite interesting that,our snap hooks have been LOLER'd many times and he's never even mentioned them? Wot would a LOLER inspector say about u using 10mm rope for an adjustable lanyard because im thinking of doin this myself?

To be honest that would be ok to use 10mm rope for an adjustable Lanyard as its really only a secondary anchor to stop you from swinging & not a main lifeline.

Edited by Ross Turner
missed a bit off

To be honest that would be ok to use 10mm rope for an adjustable Lanyard as its really only a secondary anchor to stop you from swinging & not a main lifeline.

One of my main life lines is 10mm static line, i use 10mm Ocean Poly as my lanyard. But any access line or rock climbing line will be up to it.

what do you use whilst ascending the tree then

or do you never just use a strop at any time whenever advancing your rope up a tree

what do you use whilst ascending the tree then

or do you never just use a strop at any time whenever advancing your rope up a tree

All depends what methods you were taught or use,Some people use both ends of their Climbing rope & you are meant to be standing on a limb while using your side lanyard,so therefore your weight will not be supported by the lanyard & this is in the approved code of practice.

I know everyone cuts corners & 99.9% of times you get away with things but its just that .1% when you can become unstuck & if there is an investigation there could be problems for you.

These are just my veiws.