Cheap saw for homeowner/DIY

aesmith

Hmmm ….. vibration levels ??

According to the Solo website they're 7.8 RH handle and 5.4 LH handle. A good chunk more than the equivelant Stihl saw, the MS251 (picked purely because the power output is the same) is 3.9/3.9. So the Stihl will be more comfortable to use for extended periods but you'd assume that anyway.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also love some reviews off of people on the Stihl ms181... Cheers,

Charlie

Had an ms171 for a few years as my main saw for firewood, small felling and a bit of climbing and if it wasnt for idiots using it while I was away :thumbdown: it would still be working perfectly. Got myself a new one a few days ago and I hope with some care it should last a lot longer :thumbup1:

Only had an 076 for a wee while and been using it for firewood out of necessity and certainly compared to a brute like that it's lighter on the power but actually cuts well with very little fuel and you can carry it about all day with no problems and little vibration. :thumbup:

Well, I've read more good reviews than bad and I made a mistake with the vibration levels, they're actually a more acceptable 4.9 m/s on the Solo 646. So I've taken the plunge and bought the Ebay £189.99 stock clearance one.

kettensaegen-test-05.jpg

So I will wait with baited breath to see whether a decent useable saw turns up or whether it'll be a bit pants. The good thing about Ebay is if it turns out to be useless and rattles itself to bits the first time I use it I'll have no trouble sending it back.

I'm expecting it to cut slightly slower than the Stihls I've used as the 18" bar is a tad on the big side for the power output (3 hp) but for the occasional use it'll get I can put up with that, I'll just have to keep the chain nice and sharp. It comes with quite a few freebies like a carry bag, oil and mixing bottle etc so that'll be good so long as the saw works alright!

Will type up what I think of it once I've got it and given it a try, might get some pictures and a video too perhaps.

Thanks for everyones advice anyway and sorry for the thread hijack, fingers crossed this saw works out ok for me :)

Well, I've read more good reviews than bad and I made a mistake with the vibration levels, they're actually a more acceptable 4.9 m/s on the Solo 646. So I've taken the plunge and bought the Ebay £189.99 stock clearance one.

kettensaegen-test-05.jpg

So I will wait with baited breath to see whether a decent useable saw turns up or whether it'll be a bit pants. The good thing about Ebay is if it turns out to be useless and rattles itself to bits the first time I use it I'll have no trouble sending it back.

I'm expecting it to cut slightly slower than the Stihls I've used as the 18" bar is a tad on the big side for the power output (3 hp) but for the occasional use it'll get I can put up with that, I'll just have to keep the chain nice and sharp. It comes with quite a few freebies like a carry bag, oil and mixing bottle etc so that'll be good so long as the saw works alright!

Will type up what I think of it once I've got it and given it a try, might get some pictures and a video too perhaps.

Thanks for everyones advice anyway and sorry for the thread hijack, fingers crossed this saw works out ok for me :)

I almost did the same just to see what it was like. Very interested in your report. :thumbup1:

I just can't see it holding a candle to the equivalent Stihl MS250, even on a smaller bar, but I stand to be corrected. Fingers crossed for you. :001_smile:

Just to clarify...

I wasn't calling Solo an unknown brand. I stated that I would avoid unknown brands eg cheap Chinese brands.

I can't remember the Solo models I used but one a top handled and the other around 50cc. I also used them in Australia. Don't know if that is relevant but like most things in life, when you have a negative experience it takes a good reason to favour something when there are other (and proven) options available.

I'd say the same oi Efco. All these saws are interesting, and I'm sure some models are probably not too bad, and sometimes a bit cheaper, but presumably there is a reason for that and a reason why these brands are not favoured by pro users.

Good points there Cuttup, you did initially put me off the Solo but further reading found plenty of good reviews and a few others here have had good experiences with them so i thought on balance it was worth taking a chance. I'm fervently hoping you were unlucky with your experience!

Agreed there are other options available but I've been studying the second hand saws finishing on Ebay and the Stihls and Huskys do fetch strong money, my £190 would only have really seen me into an MS181 if I was lucky, and (perhaps foolishly) I've been swayed by the extra horsepower and 4" longer bar of the Solo. I will own up if it turns out I've made a horrible mistake buying the Solo but for now it's fingers crossed it will be sufficient for my needs.

Thanks for your advice anyhow! If it turns out to be **** you're allowed a very big 'I told you so!' :thumbup:

I received my solo 646 this week, running a 15" bar and chain. if I'm perfectly honest, I paid £169 and it's not a mile away of being on par with my 346xp 46cc! I'm very impressed with the saw I got especially for how little it cost.

I will certainly look into other, professional grade solo saws for the future! I for one am fed up with poor build, quality, longevities of stihls and husqvarna chainsaws.