Cheap saw for homeowner/DIY

aesmith

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18" is a bit too much for a MS251. Sounds like your dealer doesn't deal with pro saws or users much.

I'd look online. Can get an MS181 with 12" bar for approx £220. If the Stihl delivery policy kills that with your location, screw 'em and get a Husky 135.

HI ALL i have a cheap ms180 that was my DADS saw good saw comes in just under £100 at £95 good thanks all jon :thumbup:

18" is a bit too much for a MS251. Sounds like your dealer doesn't deal with pro saws or users much.

I'd look online. Can get an MS181 with 12" bar for approx £220. If the Stihl delivery policy kills that with your location, screw 'em and get a Husky 135.

The 135 seems to rev it's little tits off compared to the 181. Fair enough it's got a bigger engine, but for the same weight the difference is noticeable.

The problems are the crap bar and chain, and I don't like the silly master control, or the fact it doesn't like to stay running or warm start.

The 135 seems to rev it's little tits off compared to the 181. Fair enough it's got a bigger engine, but for the same weight the difference is noticeable.

The problems are the crap bar and chain, and I don't like the silly master control, or the fact it doesn't like to stay running or warm start.

My 135 is a lot better on aspen was a cow to start hot and cold on normal 2stroke some difference on aspen 👍

After reading lots of reviews I went for an echo 420 It has a 16" blade and cuts anything you throw at it, and with a 5 year warranty and a lot cheaper than a Stihl, you can't go wrong.

Glad you picked up a good'un :thumbup:

Bit of advice if I may? Spare yourself the mick taking, and call it a bar, not a blade.

Every other homeowner asks me if I sharpen my own blades, not their fault, but if you're using a saw with any regularity you should really know what the basic bits are called :P

I'm being pedantic anyway, please let us know how you find it.

Mine was like that till I adjusted the carb and it ticks over and keeps going now no problem. I bought a couple of spare chains on ebay and it's only an occasional use firewood saw so have had no problem with the bar. I have bought Aspen so I don't drain down after use but it did run just as well on petroil mix.