Cheap saw for homeowner/DIY

aesmith

Just one comment about extended warranty, warranty is is a fault in materials or manufacture, not fair wear and tear, miss use, abuse, lack of maintenace, doent matter if it has five years warranty, it will be refused if any of the latter.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a Solo 646 with 18 inch bar, bag, gloves, chain oil and 2 stroke for sub £190, including delivery.

I don't need a saw but am tempted to buy one as a spare!

It may be good value but a big jump in speed, bar length etc from the op's electric saw. I would have thought we should consider / enquire if his technique is good before recommending a saw with an 18 inch bar. Personally I would not like it on my conscience if it kicked back and bit him.

It may be good value but a big jump in speed, bar length etc from the op's electric saw. I would have thought we should consider / enquire if his technique is good before recommending a saw with an 18 inch bar. Personally I would not like it on my conscience if it kicked back and bit him.

Hi Tony You did not mentioned a chainsaw course so I suspect you may not have been on one. If my thoughts are correct I would recommend you do one. Things will happen quicker with your new saw so take it slow and carefull especially before you are familiar with it. Talk to your dealer at the very least.

You will need some PPE if you havn't already got some. My order of importance would be Helmet, boots, steel toecap or better still chain saw ones, gloves, trousers. Do some reading reasearch on safety before you start. The little Stihl(171,181.211) handbook has some good info. Get yourself a patch /bill hook to clear the small branches before you start your saw work. Clear as you go, work carefully and safely.

Good luck with it.

Echo CS-370ES or CS-420ES

Husqvarna 135 or 435

Stihl MS181 or MS211

+1, although I'd do away with the ms181, the Stihl choice you want to match the other 2 is either the ms211 or ms231, but Stihl gets very expensive very quickly.

Secondly, if your chain has lasted that long, use aspen fuel. It may seem expensive, but it'll be cheaper than mixing fresh fuel every time or having a rebuild on the saw

+1 on the use of Aspen too. It'll be nicer to use and in the long run for a very occasional user, it'll work out cheaper, As you won't have to empty out unused fuel after each use, (not knowing when you'll need it next). And you'll not be needing to pre-mix 2-stroke every time there's a need for a chainsaw.

Edited by TGB

I agree, Solo 646 looks too big. I've still to see if my dealer's punting the same model, a few places have them on offer (soon to be discontinued?).

Size wise I'm now thinking 14" but a model with enough oomph to go to 16" if I ever felt the need. If that makes sense.

Thanks for everyone else's comments as well, and the safety guidance of course.

By the way, I see the comments about Aspen. Why are chainsaw engines so picky, is it because they're high power for their size?

Tony S

I agree, Solo 646 looks too big. I've still to see if my dealer's punting the same model, a few places have them on offer (soon to be discontinued?).

Size wise I'm now thinking 14" but a model with enough oomph to go to 16" if I ever felt the need. If that makes sense.

Thanks for everyone else's comments as well, and the safety guidance of course.

By the way, I see the comments about Aspen. Why are chainsaw engines so picky, is it because they're high power for their size?

Tony S

Aspen gets over the stale fuel problem. Old fuel is blamed quite rightly for attacking fuel lines etc. 14 inch is a nice size for most jobs you will have. MS 211(35cc) runs a 14 inch well, I have one and I have no regrets buying it. Not sure it would like 16 much but it is on its option list.

Cheers, Stihl 211 is a bit more than I wanted to pay. I had in mind a budget of up to £200 for the saw. I think my dealer's not quite getting my requirements (or my budget), but for whatever reason he's recommending a Stihl 251 with 18". His Solo option is indeed the 646 as suspected, although with 15" bar.