Cheap saw for homeowner/DIY

aesmith

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the suggestions. What do you guys think of the Husqvarna 135? There's a local place that does Husqvana and Stihl, so I can see both at the same time. Stihl 171 looks a bit little to be honest.

Keep the chain sharp then you will be supprised what a 171 181 or 211 will cut. Logged up 3 ft diameter with my 211 in the past . Bought a bigger husky as well now but the little Stihl does fine. Just takes a little longer. Friend on mine has a small husky and has had oiler problems. Might be a one off. Price and dealer is something to study.'

been delayed in posting on this thread as I had to go get my hard hat cos I might get shot down for this. :001_smile:

I bought a 34cc mitox secondhand 2 years ago as a lightweight back-up to my heavy husky 61. I loved it so much that I swapped it for a new one after 6 months of problem free work. yes its short on power and build quality but I think for the money (about £140 plus vat) its good value. it won't last long but I can swap it every year and it'll always be in warranty

tom (retreating to a safe distance)

We just bought a little stihl 170 on a 12 inch bar, we have a couple of bigger saws but this is ideal for smallish jobs, bit of logging etc.

Bought it to replace a 023 we had only replaced that because it was 18 odd years old. Got it brand new from the dealer £155 including a file and 1 shot of 2 stoke oil. :001_smile:

If a saw does the job you need it to a doesn't keep breaking then it is good, even better if you can keep it sharp!

At work I use pro stihls and husqvarna but in the past I used to do a lot of farm hedge work and wanted a cheap saw in case it rolled off the bank and ended up in a water filled ditch. I had husqvarna 136 and stihl 170 and found the stihl to be better built and more reliable without a noticeable difference in performance

So I say buy a stihl ms 170 and keep it razor sharp

Back to proper saws, don't go for a 171 - the MS181 is far more useful. For an extra twenty quid you get a bit more go, which you'll appreciate. The chain is quite thin - it's a 3/8 pico - but kept sharp, it will cut anything. It just takes a little longer than a bigger saw. But it will do it.

And stay with a shorter bar. A longer bar will encourage you to take on jobs that are bigger than the saw is capable of - if that makes sense - and it's safer too. The 14" bar is well suited. Stay away from the 16".

And Stihl chain oil seems to be a bit thinner than other brands. The thicker stuff maybe cheaper but it clogs up the delivery to the chain, which is where you want it.

Final point, stay away from the quick chain tensioning nonsense - get one with a nut to tighten because it's hardly difficult to use, is it?

David

Another vote for the 171/181. Keep them sharp and you'll be surprised what they can do albeit a little slowly but probably still a lot faster than your electric saw.

Don't mess around with secondhand as they tend to make silt money, buy new and keep to a 14" bar maximum.

been delayed in posting on this thread as I had to go get my hard hat cos I might get shot down for this. :001_smile:

I bought a 34cc mitox secondhand 2 years ago as a lightweight back-up to my heavy husky 61. I loved it so much that I swapped it for a new one after 6 months of problem free work. yes its short on power and build quality but I think for the money (about £140 plus vat) its good value. it won't last long but I can swap it every year and it'll always be in warranty

tom (retreating to a safe distance)

I bought a Mitox for her indoors, cracking little saw and a 2 year warranty, use it a lot myself now!