Unimog overkill....?!

Simon Rotheram

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once did some work for the MOD on salisbury plane. Tree was next to a military only road. At the end of the day we got the brush out to sweep up the road, the mod guy with said don't worry about that and he got on the radio and called an airstrike except no napalm just a big unimog with brush attached to front came over the hill 5 minutes later and swept the road for us. This thing only exist to sweep roads, usually mud from where tanks have gone over highways but it was good to watch and not sweep up after us for a change.

BTW I had never even seen or heard of a blower in those days, it was sweep or nothing!

Mate the mog is watering my neck of the woods, and the landy/bowser aint nothing on the Mog set up!!

What are you guys watering?

True, a mog set up is a good tool! But when they go wrong they cost a fortune to fix and you get very little chip in the rear box!

Worked for a few lads up north on the tools who used them on the West Coast Main Line! Bit weird driving on the left of a truck but well built!

We are doing all the tree pits, formative pruning etc etc! True a 130" landy and bowser is not as cool as a mog but it serves purpose better and fits the question of overkill! The Landy is out 7 days a week as she is the call out truck, so she pays for her keep!

it all depends on how you set them up and how you utilise and maintain them. a silky handsaw can seem overkill on some jobs and a you can sometimes run out of grunt with a 500bhp mulcher. there is no perfect tool. some folk can make things work for them others cant or dont want to take the jump out of thier comfort zone. i know a guy with over 20 mogs of various sizes and applications. he also runs almost every bit of kit you can think of and some you wouldnt imagine. he has pioneered the arb and rail industry for his 'i can do it attitude'. only in this country are folk slated for doing well and laughed at for failing. good on the landscaper who can run a 100k piece of kit for watering plants in a country that rains almost every day:001_cool:

i know a guy with over 20 mogs of various sizes and applications. he also runs almost every bit of kit you can think of and some you wouldnt imagine. he has pioneered the arb and rail industry for his 'i can do it attitude'.

Is that the lad who owns QTS, stevie? they have some very nice kit, i remember an article about them in one of the forestry mags when i was at college and his pride and joy at the time was his self-propelled stumpgrinder which he had made by attaching a pto stumper onto the front of a claas jaguar forage harvester.