Risk assessments and method statements...for the last time, hopefully!

Steve Bullman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record I have full employers liability - indeed I am insured up to the hilt! Of course you need to have liability for your sub contractors. You need to have proper emergency procedures in place and you need to discuss risk at each job. I make an effort to work safely and for the people I work with to work safely but I don't feel on many jobs that a written risk assessment reduces risk or makes me or the people I work with any safer - so I don't do one.

Secondly its not that I can't be arsed to do the paperwork - I do written risk assessments on more unusual, dangerous work or jobs next to roads etc where risks are greater but this is a rarity. But I do not do the paperwork just for the sake of ticking boxes on umpteen forms so I have a backup for a later court date. If I saw a point to the paperwork then I would do it i.e. it's not laziness or lack of time.

I've been in a few tribunals albeit in the health world many years ago and many associated issues can be transfered over to the arb world. Yes you should have a hard copy of a risk assessment but if you can demonstrate in court the ways you mitigated risk and can back this up with evidence of controls carried out on the day then you can still prove that you have assessed risk.

If you employ any number of people in the conventional way you really have no choice but to follow convention and do the paperwork.

In a practical way and getting back to the main thread what I am suggesting is at least make the risk assessment as concise as possible with a box at the bottom to cover any unusual elements.

To a certain extent I'm playing devil's advocate here - but I am standing up to be counted rather than a great many who complain endlessly about how meaningless a lot of health and safety is but do and say nothing against it.

Brilliant

I couldn't agree more

I have more than 5 employees and we are still trying to get our heads round RA

The paperwork trail we are told is a legal necessity

BUT is it

Is it not just a method of establishing that you have considered risk.

Is there not another way to prove the risks have been considered.

This paperwork trail is just tedious and in my opinion just leads to glazed looks.

Notwithstanding how much we all love filling in more forms during the job with wet hands etc as the job develops.

• 2 months later...
Hi ! Just starting up on my own. Need help with Risk Assessment and Method Statements. You mentioned above that you would drawing some up. Can I download them ?

Cheers and Beers !

See Help becoming an ARB Approved Contractor and scroll down the page for these, and other, docs.

Hopefully a good starting point.

Good luck with everything..!

Paul

• 3 years later...