Want to start climbing

jakesteel22

I started at 17 and now 32. I did a year conservation course before that which helped with ground work etc. As for the climbing I think 18 is a good age, your young and enthusiastic (hopefully) If you start now you could be classed as experienced climber at 22/23

You'll never be too young to begin something so fulfilling

Went you're looking up at the bows, you'll dread that climb

But when you reach the top and find your anchor its comforting

Drop down on your hitch and fire up your saw

For now my boy you are a tree climber, let the limbs fall

Get up there boy!!

I was 17/18 when i started, am 24 now, and now work as a foreman and the boss pays me as an "experienced" climber, BUT i'm still learning stuff from workmates with more experience than I. So dont let it go to your head, stay safe and humble, keep an open mind, keep learning, get your 38, and, as my irish boss used to say, "you'll be flyin'"!

Just watch your back, its a handy piece a kit, dont break it.... :biggrin:

Just watch your back, its a handy piece a kit, don't break it.... :biggrin:

Sound advice! My back is in pieces because I didn't listen to those who warned me. My advice, climb as a hobby. Go to school and educate yourself so you can make real money and enjoy climbing in trees that don't have to be cut in any form. If you want to get dragged through the ringer for a living, a small one at that, then pursue this profession. Sorry for being the grumpy old man.

What is a good age to start climbing? I am almost 18 and really want to get into it. Just practice climbing though, not bringing saws up with me or anything. Would you recommend it?

I started at 48, I'm 49 now and love it!... Never let anyone tell you you're too young/old :)