Sweet Chestnut mutilated !

PC tree

I get on with my own work the best I can, I don't waste my time slagging off other people's and posting pictures where I don't know the specs, so me and my mates can throw their hand up in faux horror to make themselves feel better.

Same as that. We did a job today reducing 5 ash coppice stools by half : couldn't do anything fancy to make it look good but if we hadn't done it someone else would've! Ironically the nephew of the chap we did it for is on Amazing Spaces on ch 4 as I type this (we felled n milled the thuja for the project:):):)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the premise, "if we hadn't done it someone else would've". Is quite frankly an awful defence.

It is an excuse to make shoddy work excusable. I think that kind attitude lowers the tone of the industry. Part of our role is to educate and act in the trees best interest.

Just my opinion though.

Using the premise, "if we hadn't done it someone else would've". Is quite frankly an awful defence.

It is an excuse to make shoddy work excusable. I think that kind attitude lowers the tone of the industry. Part of our role is to educate and act in the trees best interest.

Just my opinion though.

absolutely :congrats:

Just my opinion though.

It's not my attitude, we do strive to do the best for the trees, it sometimes depends on the circumstance: for example ash trees as mentioned above ideally would've been coppiced but the farmer (who owned them was only willing to allow them to be reduced, the customer (neighbour) wanted them away from his buildings (didn't want heavily leaning ash landing on them and potentially damaging very valuable wagons) could've removed leaning stems only but would've left lanky upright stems more exposed and prone to snapping out so we agreed to reduce by half. I know long term this will cause weakness in the trees (if they survive probable future chalara attack) and related this to both parties. We made the best of a bad job, is that unethical of my business?

Oh get over yourself, someone wanted more light in their garden so hammered a non TPO tree. Big deal.

Well from what i can see...that tree hasnt been done from the ground so by climbing it without permission is trespassing and illegal. Not only that they have cut way past the boundary from the look of it too.

Poor business ethics.

absolutely :congrats:

Ok so we should try to act in the the trees best interest, then why must the OP remove the tree? It looks like a good pollard height and even possibly been done before, I've found they react well to havin their heads off even when fairly large. It's then on the way to bein future veteran tree:)

Just my opinion though.

How do you figure that?

Your job is to do what your client wants done

We are a service industry same as cutting grass or dyno rod, give your client the best information you can, allow them to make an informed choice and act on their instructions.

Criminal damage and trespass are going through my mind as well,yes do what the client wants but at the end of the day that was not the clients tree and look at it now... I would be more than livid if I came home and some one had done that to my tree... I would do every thing possible to sue you and the neighbour if you did it.