Working in the heat

Andy Collins

Today I have worked in my jeans,

It's supposed to be hotter tomorrow so I may only work half a day and again in jeans.

Wear Class A trousers & HSE cant do naff as you have just cause but put it in your risk assesment to cover your butt so to speak

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wear Class A trousers & HSE cant do naff as you have just cause but put it in your risk assesment to cover your butt so to speak

I only wear A's anyway. :001_smile:

I dont cope with heat very well, I suffer heat stroke and dehydration quite badly, although lately I have made a point of drinking twice as much as I normally do which has helped tremendously, but I still cant get round the heatstroke problem.

It might not help having a skin head hair cut and a dark coloured company t shirt. I can put down on my RA that in the last few years I have had no cuts in my chainsaw trousers but have had heatstroke many many times.

So on days over 25 degrees I'm more at risk of dying from heatstroke than I am of cutting my leg. :001_smile:

Imaging having a fit through heatstroke at 60ft up :scared1:

I only wear A's anyway. :001_smile:

I dont cope with heat very well, I suffer heat stroke and dehydration quite badly, although lately I have made a point of drinking twice as much as I normally do which has helped tremendously, but I still cant get round the heatstroke problem.

It might not help having a skin head hair cut and a dark coloured company t shirt. I can put down on my RA that in the last few years I have had no cuts in my chainsaw trousers but have had heatstroke many many times.

So on days over 25 degrees I'm more at risk of dying from heatstroke than I am of cutting my leg. :001_smile:

i only wear class a's as well, due to the heat and all. i'm due a new pair of trousers, so i went to see what class c's are like on... oh my god, how do people work in them without collapsing of exhaustion.

i'm sticking to my old class a's with lots of holes in the seams to keep my gonads {cooler}.

Anyway i'm coping pretty well at the minute with the heat as i'm on a forced holiday due to no work...is that good or bad????:thumbdown:

I only wear A's anyway.

yawn:scared1::001_tongue:

Very true, and further to that, heat exhaustion can cause you to make the kind of errors of judgement that can lead to the fatal errors; losing concentration, getting stressed out over things that normally wouldnt necessarily bother you, then rushing etc etc. Getting angry and pissed of with groundies and trying to do everything oneself, leading to dangerous mistakes. All these can be down to overheating, and the end results are usually bad.

We should all re-acquaint ourselves with the early signs of heat exhaustion, and watch our fellow workers to make sure that we are all drinking enough, taking time in the shade in the hottest part of the day, and possibly adjusting our manner of work to allow for unusal temperatures, especially at the start of summer when we are first getting used to it.:001_smile:

I drink litres of water, which if i am organised has been in the freezer, and a couple of ottles of isotonic. A great way to cool down is wetting the back of wrists, and the back of your neck.

Drink plenty of cold beer and put your feet up :001_smile:

Or drink plenty of water and take more frequent shorter breaks.

IIRC when we did a first aid course the guy was saying that you dont need as much salt as people think, there is usually enough in fruit juices or food. But then again he was a big fat guy so I doubt he ever worked had enough to sweat :001_tongue:

I myself prefer not to sweat at all it makes me go red faced and tired, deffo cant be good for my health :confused1:

I have one of those 5L bottles that you get mineral water in, if you fill it up and stick it in the freezer, then put it in a cool bag or box it stays freezing cold all day, although I found it felt uncomfy on the tummy if you drink too much too quick.

Little and often is what I was told previously

I have one of those 5L bottles that you get mineral water in, if you fill it up and stick it in the freezer, then put it in a cool bag or box it stays freezing cold all day, although I found it felt uncomfy on the tummy if you drink too much too quick.

Little and often is what I was told previously

Its best to drink room temperature water. Even though the initial hit of having a nice cold drink is great, the body needs to heat the water up to body temperature for it to be digested - the colder it is, the more energy the body uses to get it to a functioning temperature.