splicing help

matthewbas

Hey mate.

I don't know what you mean by 'don't have much rope', if you want to splice you need a certain amount of rope to make an eye. To make 2 eye to eyes I buy 3m of cord. That leaves a little room for error if you have to cut off one eye (if you did it wrong for example). My eye to eyes are usually 650-750mm. The guides will probably tell you that the minimum length is 1m, but I'm sure many people make thme less than this. As for the length of eye, thats up to you. I usually make them as tight as possible so that they just squeeze onto the carabiner, just my preference.

I use the guides on the Samson website, they also have some videos on youtube. Obviously you need to know the type of cord you are using as different cord requires different techniques, and different length 'buries' for the eyes.

If you want to let us know what cord you are using we may be able to help you with any other questions.

Different friction hitches (and different variations/turns etc) require different lengths also. Why don't you start off with a fisherman's knot in each end, and adjust until you have determined the optimal length for your application?

Different friction hitches (and different variations/turns etc) require different lengths also. Why don't you start off with a fisherman's knot in each end, and adjust until you have determined the optimal length for your application?

:thumbup: That's what I'm doing, still not got perfect length for mainline, but working on it. Just need to learn to splice then