what did you buy at the show?

Joe

what were your thoughts on the srt system that tree worker were demonstrating bob ???? the guy semed to have alot of kit hanging from his harness i personally could not see it being practical having all that getting in the way

We discussed this very question on the way home

It is rare for a working tree surgeon in England to be needing to go all the way to the top of a tree without doing something on the way up

and whether it was worth the ££££ outlay and practice.

but certainly could come on handy and is a very useful system and maybe a very quick access for a rescue straight up the climbers line

So in essence if the need arises would be worth the investment and tbh i have all the components and will be fine tuning a system but will be interesting whether i ever use it in reality

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How would it be suspended??

presumably you mean not connecting splice to top of lockjack

It does actually work just on a single rope but whether it should be is another question and i for 1 would be interested in marcs definative not to use

presumably you mean not connecting splice to top of lockjack

It does actually work just on a single rope but whether it should be is another question and i for 1 would be interested in marcs definative not to use

Its incorrect application of kit, it may work but that doesn't make it o.k or safe to do so.

It primarily a descent and ascent tool for doubled rope, in that use its only taking 50% of the climbers weight.

Its cam design is completly different from other purpose designed ascent and descent equipment such as a Elderid Eddy or Petzl I'd.

We discussed this very question on the way home

It is rare for a working tree surgeon in England to be needing to go all the way to the top of a tree without doing something on the way up

and whether it was worth the ££££ outlay and practice.

but certainly could come on handy and is a very useful system and maybe a very quick access for a rescue straight up the climbers line

So in essence if the need arises would be worth the investment and tbh i have all the components and will be fine tuning a system but will be interesting whether i ever use it in reality

I actually thought it was a relativly inexpensive set-up, basically compromising a handled ascender, chest ascender, and foot clamp with couple of karabiners.

I use srt on every climb, ladders are of no use to us, everyone i work with can climb and use the systems we use. We stick to RADs though for much the reasons you pointed out, with an ascent and descent srt system you can safely work on the way up it also works with any harness. The srt line is always left in so anyone can get access to the tree.

The tree walker looks very quick and effcient compared to a rads, the climb where you want to shoot to the top quick is rare so like you i doubt i'd use it much.

Even on take downs??

Is it not quicker to just spike up??

Yeah sometimes i'll just spike up, depends on the take down, i'll often install my line from the ground first then start spike up so i can bash a few bits of on the way up more easily. Or i'll install the srt line get up there quick clearing some branches on the way and put spikes on, or get up there quick set up a rigging system bash a load of bits off get down to the big stuff then put my spikes on.

It all depends on the tree.

Edited by Marc