Green furniture direct out of the log... let's see your designs!

Rob D

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do they loo like Paul - got any pics?

Now I am at computer;

[ATTACH]167773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]167774[/ATTACH]

Never come across them! Have just ordered x4 12" - got to be the easiest way to make a coffee table thanks for the tip! :biggrin:

That is pretty much it - getting paid for it rather than doing it for fun... no easy answer to that one!

:001_smile:

A little bit off topic but I had some head scratching and a bit of fun making this for my little one. It's Mont Pine and I've got heaps of it to get through, big, long, straight round stems and some really interesting angled limbs. Everyone who's seen it says "you could sell that!" and I guess it's possible but the time & labour of making this far exceed the price I could make on it. That's fine for this one in my garden, and I enjoyed just tinkering. I guess if I made a pattern, prep'd a batch of timber and bought in fixings in bulk I could get a unit cost but can't see it being a big market place. Might give it a punt at some point

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1414310840.781011.jpg.77b15e3a0f1a6ab9a6762ec3f05812ea.jpg

Hi guys some of you were talking about using flap discs on grinders and yes they are no good on green wood bit if you get a flexi backing pad and use say 36 grit discs not flap theay are ace on green wood I have been using them for yrs on my chainsaw carvings and have 4 and 1/2 inch and 7 inch the 7 inch on a 9 inch angle grinder removes alot of wood very quick ideal for table tops benches etc just that I would share that hope it helps

Cheers Mark

A little bit off topic but I had some head scratching and a bit of fun making this for my little one. It's Mont Pine and I've got heaps of it to get through, big, long, straight round stems and some really interesting angled limbs. Everyone who's seen it says "you could sell that!" and I guess it's possible but the time & labour of making this far exceed the price I could make on it. That's fine for this one in my garden, and I enjoyed just tinkering. I guess if I made a pattern, prep'd a batch of timber and bought in fixings in bulk I could get a unit cost but can't see it being a big market place. Might give it a punt at some point

Elder daughter (5) is sat with me, has just seen this and now she wants one!

Anyone taking down any larch round my way.....?

Alec

[ATTACH]167781[/ATTACH]

Never mind for the kids I want one for me :biggrin: It is very cool indeed.

If you do make one for someone else my advice would be don't be afraid to charge for it.. If you do well it will encourage you to make another and that's how these sort of businesses start.. but undercharging just causes headaches all round.....

:001_smile:

Hi guys some of you were talking about using flap discs on grinders and yes they are no good on green wood bit if you get a flexi backing pad and use say 36 grit discs not flap theay are ace on green wood I have been using them for yrs on my chainsaw carvings and have 4 and 1/2 inch and 7 inch the 7 inch on a 9 inch angle grinder removes alot of wood very quick ideal for table tops benches etc just that I would share that hope it helps

Cheers Mark

Agree with that Mark! I used 4 ½ flappy discs after de barking the legs on tree house. They chogged up pretty quick but did the job!