Green furniture direct out of the log... let's see your designs!

Rob D

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea is to do it just with chainsaw mills as you may not have electricity/big circular saw - the furniture will be pretty rough anyway ie. non planed, also the table top was 3.5" thick so you'd need a pretty heavy duty circular saw...

agreed that can be a problem and i was thinking of a battery saw but i can only find one that will go through 2 1/2". there is a makita that cuts 5" slabs and even an old model that cuts 6 1/4" (if you can find it) but as you say leccy may be problematic...

they are beam saws used by timber framers. could be usefull if you decide to do alot of furniture.

Liking this post, to see what other people make and methods used.

and here is a few more pictures.

Good solid looking bench - this design works very well as is simple yet effective - I have an idea to make the fixing of something like this easier using sheet metal with holes in it....

• Hard to explain in words but a strip of metal with x3 rows of holes
  • Make the legs - screw strip on top of each leg through middle holes
  • Then fix main slab seat to legs by screwing through outer holes

This would be very strong, very fast and very easy...

Would be great to by strips like this in longer lengths and you could then just cut the lengths down.

:001_smile:

Rob well done that's some lovely stuff. Have you managed to do anything with the walnut yet.

Ah yes - I made a vid of that - the whole process so have not made anything but it has been milled:

Not a great vid but gives the idea!

I was thinking of using angle on the table tops with router cut under the table.

Then bolted to top and cross member's.

thus adding a bit off strength to limit movement in top.

Def an idea - although I was thinking to avoid if possible needing to use the router... I know this would be neater to use one.

But that sort of idea though - angle would be great but may look a bit messy if the thickness of the the uprights were thick than the width of the angle iron - unless maybe get some wider angle iron.... that with holes in would work pretty well and would give good strength. Also all the fixings would be hidden under the table.