325 to 3/8

Supernube

The speed cutter...also a full timer obviously...was using a 560 xp ..3/8 with 15 inch bar...but unfortunately I didnt get round to asking about sprocket etc.

I think I am going to go for the 3/8 on a 15 and try both sprocket sizes...only as a learning curve for my own knowledge...I have always just used the saw as they came..never even knew about the different sprockets and speeds etc...again..lack of knowledge :blushing:

Anyway...thank you all for your help...I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What saw did the speed cutter at the APF have ?

I'm guessing it was bigger than a 560 and he was running 3/8 pitch with lowered depth gauges and needed the higher profile 3/8 cutters for chip flow.

With a 560 I would stick with .325 and run 8 or 9 tooth sprocket.

3/8 may give a faster chain speed but 9 pin is 9 drivelinks which is more cutters per engine revolution.

First you need to know what sprocket you have - probably a 2 piece " power mate " type sprocket with a separate clutch drum and drive rim.

There are 2 sizes of rim sprocket available for this saw with different sized drive splines - small 7 and standard 7.

The small 7 will take 7x325,8x325 and 7x3/8 rim sprockets.

The standard 7 will take 7x3/8,8x3/8 and 9x325.

Assuming you have a 7x325 drive rim your first thing to try is a 8x325 rim.

If that is too slow change the clutch to standard 7 and use a 9x325 rim.

It's funny you should question that, the guy with the 576xp was running .325 on a 9t, as the racing bars are, all but one, in .325 and d009 mount

The speed cutter...also a full timer obviously...was using a 560 xp ..3/8 with 15 inch bar...but unfortunately I didnt get round to asking about sprocket etc.

I think I am going to go for the 3/8 on a 15 and try both sprocket sizes...only as a learning curve for my own knowledge...I have always just used the saw as they came..never even knew about the different sprockets and speeds etc...again..lack of knowledge :blushing:

Anyway...thank you all for your help...I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you

For a learning curve, you might as well start with upping the (undergeared in my opinion) sprocket on the bar and chain combo you already have. A lot cheaper to start with :thumbup1:

It's funny you should question that, the guy with the 576xp was running .325 on a 9t, as the racing bars are, all but one, in .325 and d009 mount

If it was all about chain speed they would be running 8x404:001_rolleyes:

I sometimes run my dolly on 9x325 with a 15" pixel bar and chain.:thumbup1:Must get some 50 guage RS :biggrin:

My 365 spends most of its time on 8x3/8 with 15"bar and RS chain.

Where can you get a D009 in 325 ?

I was thinking would have to change the nose sprocket on a 3/8 bar to 325.

I sometimes run my dolly on 9x325 with a 15" pixel bar and chain.:thumbup1:Must get some 50 guage RS :biggrin:

8t .404 is discontinued, and very damn rare, trust me, I'm after a rim in that size!

And regarding the bar, husky make them, but it's difficult to get the part numbers! They come in 14, 15, 18 and 20 inch bars only.

8t .404 is discontinued, and very damn rare, trust me, I'm after a rim in that size!

And regarding the bar, husky make them, but it's difficult to get the part numbers! They come in 14, 15, 18 and 20 inch bars only.

I have a custom made 9 tooth .404 and a 9 tooth 3/8 both racing sprockets if you are interested ?

Not going to get into the what's faster debate - but I have the 15" Sugihara bars in all guises in 15" found here (so as not to upset the guide bar selector!).

Products for the category: Special Offers

:001_smile:

I think the reason when these type of threads throw up a lot of answers is because there is no right answer!

Soooooo many variables - what wood your cutting/what chain you use/how you sharpen/is saw modded/is saw running correctly etc etc.

You change just one of the above and it could be a different set up that is quicker.

I would set yourself up with different drive rims and see what works for you.

Also the chain type and how it is sharpened - experiment with both Stihl and oregon chisel and micro chisel (x4 diferent chains) to see what works best...

:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Haha! That would be interesting on the 090!

Did the maths, I've uprated my 090 to 8k rpm, 9 tooth is going to put the speed to a lovely 23.5m/s. This may not sound a lot (8t on most modern saws will put the speed over 24m/s) but what has to be remembered, is that this series of saw was designed to pull 10 feet of blunt chain through 20+ feet trees!

hello i got a question is the sachs dolmar 116 SI a K095 OR K153 bar mount they look similar spacings but the chain adjuster hole and oil hole seems smaller on the K153 bar :thumbup: