New double ended chainsaw bars from GB

Rob D

Hi would this system work with an 036 and 441 so it would and what would else would I need to buy to get started. Sorry to bother ye but I am a complete novice where chainsaw milling is concerned.

I would second Rob's comment. I suggest starting with an Alaskan Mark III mill, probably 36" as this is about the length you would be OK with if you did have the double saw set-up, and in the meantime you can shorten it up to fit the 441.

You would also need a suitable length bar - a 25" would give you 18" capacity, meaning you could mill a 2' log by rolling it. You will then need a ripping chain - personally I like Granberg chain as I find it cuts a bit faster and leaves a smoother finish, but Oregon is cheaper.

You also need to consider how you will sharpen the chain - it needs to be both sharp and even in angle and length for good milling, to a level which is extremely difficult to achieve by hand. You could use a precision filing jig, or a precision grinder. Note, you would need a grinder for the Granberg chain.

In the meantime, have a look at the videos Rob has put on youtube - you can find them linked from Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories

Cheers

Alec

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi thanks for your replies, my only problem is I have no need for a small chainsaw mill would just need it to break down big logs for the woodmizer, I have 5 logs that are 2 big the biggest bein a 5ft diameter oak. I know a man with a 36in Alaskan who I think would be willing to help me out but from what u say my saws might not be up to that big a bar?

milling oak is hard on the saws. we use 2 x ms660's on a 48'' (ish) cannon double end, which is ok, but if one saw isn't running its murder.

personally i wouldnt be looking to do much over 30'' with a 440 if that.

its also worth mentioning with a double ended mill you also have the option of just popping a dead saw on one end which acts as an oiler if say your milling cedar and your by yourself/ or have all the time in the world.

also with mine i use 325 chain as reckon its narrower - this is what it came with when we got it second hand so haven't had the chance to try anything else yet. ( also came with 2 x 9t 325 sprockets for the 660s).

Hi thanks for your replies, my only problem is I have no need for a small chainsaw mill would just need it to break down big logs for the woodmizer, I have 5 logs that are 2 big the biggest bein a 5ft diameter oak. I know a man with a 36in Alaskan who I think would be willing to help me out but from what u say my saws might not be up to that big a bar?

I think you're right in that I'm not sure that your saws will run a 72" bar needed to mill 5ft.... you really need a 660 and 440 type combo min IMO.

:001_smile:

milling oak is hard on the saws. we use 2 x ms660's on a 48'' (ish) cannon double end, which is ok, but if one saw isn't running its murder.

personally i wouldnt be looking to do much over 30'' with a 440 if that.

its also worth mentioning with a double ended mill you also have the option of just popping a dead saw on one end which acts as an oiler if say your milling cedar and your by yourself/ or have all the time in the world.

also with mine i use 325 chain as reckon its narrower - this is what it came with when we got it second hand so haven't had the chance to try anything else yet. ( also came with 2 x 9t 325 sprockets for the 660s).

I thin would be worth trying a .404 chain on that at some stage - pretty easy to get the sprockets/rims and I think you would get a faster cut/better stay sharp/better chip carrying capacity/less teeth to sharpen....

:001_smile:

Received my new setup today.

Many thanks rob for the quick delivery:thumbup:,will let you know how I get on.boy is that bar a monster :001_smile:.will take some pics too.

Yep that's a big un! Please yes get some pics up and how you found it.

:biggrin: