Google Adwords!

hamdogg

Shortly after setting up my website, I ran an AdWords campaign for about half a year, with a budget of roughly £5/day. The campaign generated about 5 clicks/day, leading to about two contacts (by mail/contact form/phone), which in turn generated about one job worth an average of £150. So for me it worked great with a marketing cost of about 3% of revenue generated.

I stopped when organic search results (i.e. normal Google searched) generated sufficient traffic to keep me busy.

Be certain, though, to set a budget on your campaign, and to limit it geographically, so you don't pay for clicks from potential customers too far away from you. Also make certain to choose your keywords carefully, to avoid getting clicks from people who just want to learn how to fell a tree themselves or similar.

But you should never stop doing your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for your website to make sure you appear in the top-ten results on relevant Google searches (e.g. "felling tree yorkshire"). My website consistently appears in top-three on my key search terms.

Carefully analyse the traffic on your website using Google Analytics (free) and Webmaster Toolkit, and read the SEO guide that Google publishes, see http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

I went to see some so called consultants in manchester.

They were no use to me but what they were doing was quite clever and may be of use to you

They were looking for businesses who worked in a tight area

With decent profit margins, typically guy putting up conservatories, kitchens etc

They then ran a google adwords campaign JUST IN THAT AREA

Aim was to be the top google ad for that service IN THAT AREA

I believe it worked a treat and customers very happy with their services...

Plus they could turn ads off if they wanted a holiday

They described their service as bringing in one very profitable job every week

Their typical customer would aim to get enough work to keep their lads busy

The boss would essentially use the ads to bring in leads and he would close them to keep the lads busy .......

They were charging £250 a week, but if they brought in a few grand profit why not ?

I guessed they were spending less than £20 on adverts... So good for them too

They were all driving maseratis

Next step SEO ?

My website designer deals with my seo through the package I got, I also need to work out the google toolmaster!!

Is he doing a good job? Has he promised you to achieve certain metrics at some point, e.g. your website amongst top-five search results in your area with certain search terms?

Remember, that if you want to check the status of your web site in Google searches, you must use the browser's "private"/"incognito" mode when performing the search, as the results will otherwise be influenced by what you have previously searched for and clicked on (likely your own website), thus skewing the results.

Is he doing a good job? Has he promised you to achieve certain metrics at some point, e.g. your website amongst top-five search results in your area with certain search terms?

Remember, that if you want to check the status of your web site in Google searches, you must use the browser's "private"/"incognito" mode when performing the search, as the results will otherwise be influenced by what you have previously searched for and clicked on (likely your own website), thus skewing the results.

Well I think so but when it comes to internet and technology he could be telling me anything!!

The Google Ads used to work for me, but that was year ago when competition was less and to be in the top 3 ads for tree work or pruning, the top bid was still in the 25 cent range per click.

Now its multi dollars and pounds.

• 3 months later...

Don't do it. Pay per click isn't sustainable as it is too costly. Go to an SEO company or ask your web designer to up your search engine ratings. At least then when you are on page one of Google for your local area, you are likely to stay there. If you rely on pay per click then when you run out of funds, you will not be up with the ratings.

I did try it but it was extremely expensive and when my designer checked the ratios it just wasn't worth it.

Hope that helps

Horsham Tree Surgery | Tree LC

• 4 years later...