New RCW 3001 by Stein

RC0

Looks great, though I wonder why you didn't use a self tailing winch, on which you could winch continuously using the single line, and not need to continually stop to shift the frictio hitch up. You would need to lock it of once (for which a hitch would work) after any impact, but under a load, to put the winch in line, but then could wind up or down at will, using your spare hand to pull through the line.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great, though I wonder why you didn't use a self tailing winch, on which you could winch continuously using the single line, and not need to continually stop to shift the frictio hitch up. You would need to lock it of once (for which a hitch would work) after any impact, but under a load, to put the winch in line, but then could wind up or down at will, using your spare hand to pull through the line.

Sorry mate, I don't quite follow. Are you saying use a self tailing winch instead of the one in the video, or to replace both our brake winch and bollard with a single self tailing winch ?

I'll take a stab at both. If its the latter option, I explained already that we don't want the liability of dynamic/impact loading that style if winch. Greg Good (GRCS) worked around that situation by providing an Aluminum Bollard to swap with the winch, when the situation demanded it. Its a great option, and importantly it also covers his back in the event of someone shockloading his self tailing winch to the point of internal damage or failure. Greg can then argue that he made provisions to avoid this kind of misuse by providing the aluminum bollard. Smart guy, Greg. It comes at a cost though.

If its the first option, just a swap of winches from brake to self tailing. I like the bake winch because, 1 - it has a brake so you can let go of the handle, and 2 - the profile lends itself perfectly to that of our bollard. A self tailing winch would require an altogether larger and different style of removable mounting bracket. As it is, its slick, minimized and fits on or off really easy.

Trust me, even though it looks simple and obvious at this point, much thought and exploration went in to start with. Thanks.

Sorry mate, I don't quite follow. Are you saying use a self tailing winch instead of the one in the video, or to replace both our brake winch and bollard with a single self tailing winch ?

I'll take a stab at both. If its the latter option, I explained already that we don't want the liability of dynamic/impact loading that style if winch. Greg Good (GRCS) worked around that situation by providing an Aluminum Bollard to swap with the winch, when the situation demanded it. Its a great option, and importantly it also covers his back in the event of someone shockloading his self tailing winch to the point of internal damage or failure. Greg can then argue that he made provisions to avoid this kind of misuse by providing the aluminum bollard. Smart guy, Greg. It comes at a cost though.

If its the first option, just a swap of winches from brake to self tailing. I like the bake winch because, 1 - it has a brake so you can let go of the handle, and 2 - the profile lends itself perfectly to that of our bollard. A self tailing winch would require an altogether larger and different style of removable mounting bracket. As it is, its slick, minimized and fits on or off really easy.

Trust me, even though it looks simple and obvious at this point, much thought and exploration went in to start with. Thanks.

It was the first, I'd not want to shockload the winch.

• 2 months later...

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419326022.193172.jpg.7058f32cf4d6a0f3e6641e9de11ab1c5.jpg

This is how we do it, self tailing winch for the winching operations and a bollard for the heavy loads. I like the idea of the stein bollard and a much cheaper alternative than the grcs. One I would have been very interested in, if I didn't stumble across this self build grcs on ebay. £600 I paid for the device and it's so well built and has transformed our dismantles 10 fold. After using mine for some months now I wouldn't think twice about spending the full asking price for the grcs. I must say I do like the idea of the stein and as a 2nd bollard for me it would be a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...