Hand-Arm Vibration – Shock Truth!

John Hancock

nothing stops the woman next door using her rabbit for hours on end , think of the dammage thats doing to her !!!!!

Funnily enough that topic of conversation came up several times this morning! lol :001_smile:

I for one enjoy ringing-up the big trees and this isn’t going to stop me, no sir!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i realy think that this is something that tree surgeons need to all get together and have such a daft rule got rid of , look where trying to bann the ms200 got them , i find it hard to understand how a bunch of office jockeys that have probably never done the job can make such a decision . my locall council would find another contractor if i said that my team had used its allowed exposure time and that the rest of the tree thats keeping a main road closed will have to stay closed untill tomorrow !!!!!

i realy think that this is something that tree surgeons need to all get together and have such a daft rule got rid of , look where trying to bann the ms200 got them , i find it hard to understand how a bunch of office jockeys that have probably never done the job can make such a decision . my locall council would find another contractor if i said that my team had used its allowed exposure time and that the rest of the tree thats keeping a main road closed will have to stay closed untill tomorrow !!!!!

Isn't the AA supposed to fight our corner?? :confused1::sneaky2:

couple of points

an average saw running full out ringing up or cutting up log pile takes 35 mins to a tank full

John what testing conditions did you use for your saws and what preparation did you do to the saw

we had ours tested approx 6 yrs ago and the results were very missleading ie new saws vibrated more than old one

the second time we had them tested we did 1 saw

rough results were on a brand new 357xp

well set up new bar and chain 4hrs

slightly slack chain 2hrs

badly sharpened chain ie depth guages and odd angles 1hr

as above but slack 18 mins and this was on a new saw

couple of points

an average saw running full out ringing up or cutting up log pile takes 35 mins to a tank full

John what testing conditions did you use for your saws and what preparation did you do to the saw

we had ours tested approx 6 yrs ago and the results were very missleading ie new saws vibrated more than old one

the second time we had them tested we did 1 saw

rough results were on a brand new 357xp

well set up new bar and chain 4hrs

slightly slack chain 2hrs

badly sharpened chain ie depth guages and odd angles 1hr

as above but slack 18 mins and this was on a new saw

Bobs comments put actual facts to what I said earlier,

teach your staff to sharpen and maintain their saws correctly.

You can only do so much, horses can only be led to water...

Using good quality, well maintained and correctly sharpened saws, you are unlikely to get anywhere near your maximum exposure limits in a normal days work.

Educate staff in the right selection of machine for the job, have something with heated handles availlable, split the work up between the team, and its not a problem.

Theres no requirement to log users hours, just show that you have a knowledge of HAVS and that you have taken steps to look after your men.

i wonder what the allowed perioud of work with an ms880 from a set of spikes would be , i have a job to do this week with a crane and there would be no way i would come down once i had started untill the tree was down , if i worked by hse reg's i would need the crane to be there for 2 days minimum, if my clients are like anyone else's clients they want the job done in as little time as possible with the least cost's . i think the hse should spend more time trying to stop the cowboys and pikeys rather than picking on the decent companys that try to do as much by the book as possible . sorry for ranting on but this sort of thing really really really pi sses me off

i wonder what the allowed perioud of work with an ms880 from a set of spikes would be , i have a job to do this week with a crane and there would be no way i would come down once i had started untill the tree was down , if i worked by hse reg's i would need the crane to be there for 2 days minimum, if my clients are like anyone else's clients they want the job done in as little time as possible with the least cost's . i think the hse should spend more time trying to stop the cowboys and pikeys rather than picking on the decent companys that try to do as much by the book as possible . sorry for ranting on but this sort of thing really really really pi sses me off

The same as an 880 on the ground.

Pisses me off too.

How many cuts at full throttle do you think you will be making in the day with the crane?

20? 50? 100?

How longs a cut take?

A few seconds. I'd just get on with it and not worry.

Are you the boss/self employed or an employee?

If you're your own man you can do as you like.

I ringed up 80' of ash trunk last week with a 2100 Husqy and an 084, because I was feeling 'nostalgic'.

Couldn't feel my fingers after for 10 mins.

I would have let any of the staff have a go with these saws too if they fancied a go, but reminded them that there was a 660 available.

Their choice, I've done my bit.