Quick descent with a hitch climber isn't cool...

Stephen Blair

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i reckon if i attach a small pulley to a 5 kg dumbell and feed my rope through it and back onto my harness the rope will self tend, as i go up the rope will go down, and when i need to re route i can pull it up and lower it back down. simples:001_cool:

Thats a novel soloution that could work, i like the thinking outside of the box:001_cool:.

Only i don't think it'll work as the tail of your line will get longer as you ascend so you'll have to constantly keep adjusting the weight, you could try using a pantin on your foot to pull the rope through plus use your leg muscles to help you ascend.

Generally though this is why i have an srt system in the tree so if i do come down i can use that to go back up on, if there is any distance to reach the canopy.

Or just go arm over arm.

Thats a novel soloution that could work, i like the thinking outside of the box:001_cool:.

Only i don't think it'll work as the tail of your line will get longer as you ascend so you'll have to constantly keep adjusting the weight, you could try using a pantin on your foot to pull the rope through plus use your leg muscles to help you ascend.

Generally though this is why i have an srt system in the tree so if i do come down i can use that to go back up on, if there is any distance to reach the canopy.

Or just go arm over arm.

footlocking is fine on a straight up nothing in the way ascent, doing it while bouncing off the trunk is a pain imo. dumbell it is:001_cool:

Seems to be too many variables with all the different knots and different cords:confused1:

Plus I dont want to use something that I have to check everytime I step off a branch or do I have it all wrong?

The way I climb and cut if the knot started slipping I wouldnt be around for very long!!

Not sure if this is any use, but on long ascents I use a prussik or small sling between my harness and HC krab. I can make ling pulls back up the tree, the hitch advances perfectly and remains tight, and when I let go it always holds well.

thanks, i tried that mate, i like to be able to adjust the length, i found the sling a bit of a pain when it wasnt in use. i like the way i have things set up just now, it was just a bit scary today. once i mucked abnout for 5 mins i was away again. it was just the ' what if' factor that i havent had in my head for years. it probably isnt a bad thing, a wee wake up call to be double carefull:001_smile:

my vt's only self tend once of the top of a ladder any lower and there is no chance give it another month stevie and you will be flying! there is no going back to a prusik now....as for how long cord lasts i have some 12 months old others i have burnt out after a few climbs, you will soon get in to a motion though of setting the hitch going up a few pulls.