Honda vs Kohler engines for log splitter?

Rowan the Bruce

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the info guys and well it seems that the poll that wasn't a poll turned up trumps for Honda, I used a grinder with an 11 hp honda engine today and it was pretty good. I've phoned woodfuels (who are really helpful), and got some info and they said that a short while ago woodline were having probs getting honda's from Japan and changed over to Kohler for a while. I asked him to find me one with a jap engine and then I'll buy one, 'I'll see what I can do' he said. Wait and see I guess. There's always a Thor with a 10.5 B&S but a little dearer, hmm decisions !!

Thanks for all the info guys and well it seems that the poll that wasn't a poll turned up trumps for Honda, I used a grinder with an 11 hp honda engine today and it was pretty good. I've phoned woodfuels (who are really helpful), and got some info and they said that a short while ago woodline were having probs getting honda's from Japan and changed over to Kohler for a while. I asked him to find me one with a jap engine and then I'll buy one, 'I'll see what I can do' he said. Wait and see I guess. There's always a Thor with a 10.5 B&S but a little dearer, hmm decisions !!

Does the thor have the "leader" system? its great and so safe!!

What is it or what does it do?

The splitter has two leavers, if you pull one the blade comes down to touch the log, but with not enough force to badly hurt you, you need to pull the second leaver to get full force.

So you can hold the log in place with one hand, bring down the blade, let go of the log and split.

The splitter has two leavers, if you pull one the blade comes down to touch the log, but with not enough force to badly hurt you, you need to pull the second leaver to get full force.

So you can hold the log in place with one hand, bring down the blade, let go of the log and split.

I like the sound of that :thumbup1:

There's always a Thor with a 10.5 B&S but a little dearer, hmm decisions !!

I wouldn't touch B&S with a barge pole... :001_smile:

Many people swear by them..

On the red B&S engines the valve guides aren't even lubricated they must run in a self lubricating guide as a result if it was left for any period of time with a valve open and the shiney bit of the stem showing in say the exhaust port, it would get surface rust on it and jam open.

I have loads in for this problem, mainly on mowers where they are left idle over winter.

I believe the black B&S have lubricated guides but they are built cheap IMO and no way will compare to a honda