how many bags of kindling in scaffolding plank

anthony123

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant sell them if they are treated timber or got paint cement residue on them which most scaffold planks do.

how come? is that a law?

not being funny mate, just never heard of it before

ian

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Surely it will depend on size of bag to start with !

Also if it the planks are anything like the ones where I work they get covered in chemicals cement rust as said above

I certainly wouldn't want to be buying a bag of kindling with contaminated wood in it

Steve

There are literally millions of virgin timber scaffold boards in this country that don't make the grade no need to use 2nd hand

Been there done that got the t shirt. Just need to find the figures I wrote down. Problem with boards that dont make the grade is they are often full of knots so not easy to make neat kindling. And they make a £1 a foot and it takes at least 3 ft to make a bag.

how come? is that a law?

not being funny mate, just never heard of it before

ian

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Its not illegal to sell it but is illegal to sell treated timber to burn as it is teated with chromated copper arsenate As the name suggests it is a mixture of chromium, copper and arsenic, it imparts a greenish tint to the timber.

But when burnt toxic arsenic is released into the atmosphere and the ash from burnt CCA treated timber can contain up to 10 per cent (by weight) arsenic, chromium and copper.

so maybe give scaffold planks a miss

Its not illegal to sell it but is illegal to sell treated timber to burn as it is teated with chromated copper arsenate As the name suggests it is a mixture of chromium, copper and arsenic, it imparts a greenish tint to the timber.

But when burnt toxic arsenic is released into the atmosphere and the ash from burnt CCA treated timber can contain up to 10 per cent (by weight) arsenic, chromium and copper.

so maybe give scaffold planks a miss

Its ok because scaffold boards aren't treated they don't last long enough to rot when builders get hold of them. Nothings treated with the arsenic mix these days. Thats why stuff doesnt last in the ground these days. I used to work in a place that produced 45 thousand scaffold boards a week, hundreds of thousands of metres of roofing batten plus other bits like decking. When they stopped using the arsenic we got the first weed in the yard that had ever been seen nothing used to grow we even finally got rats.

Last time I checked ( 2 years ago ) any timber treated with chemical preservative cannot then be burnt on a domestic fire. Tanalith is the most common. Some treatments are now a light yellow colour and hard to spot most are a green colour. This timber can be used in furnaces that are certified to get above 600 deg c