Van recommendations

Paul Barton

transit connect is classed as a van, so all the speed restrictions apply , caddy and berlingo are car derived vans, so normal speed limits, good to know if you do a lot of motorway and A class roads

I stand corrected but any van that has no windows only in back is commercial and as such has to be driven at commercial speeds

it is a car if it has windows all round and has seats in back. the latter on some models the seats fold down out of way.

as for model. have to say i used my skoda roomster as a van as back seats come out but is classed as car. and it has 135k on clock it has never let me down when i was doing big miles 50k a year. fuel it musr run on air.

i could return 60plus to the gallon with it and i cruised at 70 plus on most motroways and it was not struggling just under the 3000rpm, what the new ones do must be higher had a 1.4 90bhp engine. its the ideal one van during week car at weekends. seats area doddle to take out minute and all out same replacing them and space in back i got 5 bales of hay in back.

had a lawnmower strimmer blower dump bag full up.

they just do not do the van version in the uk. but only need the back half of windows if needed blacked out. if it is a van driven kaddy liked them bit small and no side door berlingo have to say was a good van. but never got to give it the big miles so do not know what it would have been like after a lot of miles. the blue tooth in them was good sat nav yes bit of a joke. connect good vans but not as good on fuel as first two and all three will not get near the skoda. kaddy returned may get high 40,s berlingo same. connect low 40,s but then its engine size. and bhp. if bhp is small have to thrash them to get anywhere and so drink fuel if it was me i would look at the skoda. not be disapointed. and they are not bad off road been on many a grass field and coped

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected but any van that has no windows only in back is commercial and as such has to be driven at commercial speeds

it is a car if it has windows all round and has seats in back. the latter on some models the seats fold down out of way.

as for model. have to say i used my skoda roomster as a van as back seats come out but is classed as car. and it has 135k on clock it has never let me down when i was doing big miles 50k a year. fuel it musr run on air.

coped

Q. Why should vans have lower speed limits than cars when they now have modern advanced braking systems like cars?

A. The main reason for these lower speed limits is that goods vehicles are designed to be able to carry heavier loads and when laden they will tend to take longer to slow down than a car travelling at the same speed.

Q. Why are the speed limits different when very often cars & vans are in the same tax class for DVLA registration purposes?

A. Some people make the mistake of thinking that if a van is in the same tax or registration class as a car then it is subject to the same speed limits. However the two issues are unrelated and they are governed by different legislation. National speed limits are set out in the 1984 legislation are based on the possible load capacities of the vehicle and whether or not it is used for carrying passengers.

Q. Are there any exemptions from these lower speed limits for vans?

A. There is one (small) group of vans which have the same speed limits are cars by virtue of the definitions in Schedule 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act of 1984. These are vans that are both derived from a car chassis and also have a maximum laden weight of no more than 2 tonnes. This means that the weight of the vehicle and the payload it is designed to be able to carry when added together do not exceed 2 tonnes. The van design must be a derivative of a car body, it is not sufficient that it looks similar to a particular car.

Q. Which vans meet the criteria to be considered car derived vans for speed limit purposes?

A. Very few vans will meet the criteria to benefit from the same speed limits as a car. Those that do are likely to be similar to a Ford Fiesta van ,Vauxhall Corsa or Renault Clio van in having maximum payloads of around 500kgs so that when combined with the weight of the vehicle unladen (normally around 1.4 tonnes) the maximum laden weight of the whole vehicle will not exceed 2 tonnes.

What this means is that vans such as the Ford Transit and (and of course the larger panel vans) will not meet the definition of car derived vans set out set out in part IV section 2 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Therefore these vehicles will be subject to speed limits of 50mph on single carriageways and 60 mph on dual carriageways.

Q. When did these rules come in and shouldn't they be changed now?

A. These speed limit rules have been in place for well over 20 years and there are no plans to change these limits to allow vans to be driven at higher speeds because ministers remain to be convinced that it would be safe to do so.

Q. Do these speed limits apply if the van is travelling without a load?

A. The national speed limits apply to the vehicle type and it makes no difference whether the vehicle at a particular time is fully loaded, partially loaded or travelling without a load.

Hope that helps!!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

I've been stopped for this. I drive a Trafic passenger with 8 seats and driver. It's classed as an mpv as no more than 8 passengers. I was stopped doing 58 on an A road as a van. I thought fair cop and was taking their advice when they started debating between themselves. They couldn't decide if I was speeding or not!

Dave

Are you looking at brand new or used paul? The older transit connects are good vans to drive, highish driving position, but fuel economy is pretty poor (i got low 20s towing a 500kg grinder) avg 35-40 mixed driving heavy right foot. cheaper build quality means ime things went wrong quicker than expected. the last one i used regularly had 120k miles and was soon scrapped, despite being one owner from new. the new ones however i heard are top of their class in mpg.

older vauxhall combo 1.3diesel was pretty good on fuel, especially if driven sensibly, not as much room in the cabin as the transit and low driving position. cheap and economical.

older caddys, well its vw, you pay significantly more even 2nd hand but you get what you pay for, don't like the interiors much, very bland, the life edition is useful with rear seats, and if black with heavily tinted windows, still looks like a caddy van, pretty useful. think it was a 1.6petrol a previous company had.

old partner/berlingo, dated, can't remember/diddnt take notice of mpg, don't like them.

the new versions defiantly worth a look, 3 seats upfront on some models, quite crampt unless theres just 1 passenger then its roomy.

the newer caddy and berlingo/partner is on my shortlist of next work vehicle if i can ever decide what suits my needs, them or a hilux which is more of a want than a need!

Thanks ya'll. I'm looking at a lease so it would be brand new I guess. The berlingo looks good I reckon, seems to be economic and comfortable. I've not had a French vehicle since my first car which put me off for a while!

Caddy is more per month but I guess should also be worth more after the lease term if I decide to sell it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Perhaps another consideration if you're thinking of going down the "car derived van" route is the Vauxhall Corsavan.

If you fancy treating yourself, try the Sportive model. 6 speed, air con, sports seats, alloys. Nippy, economical. Love mine. :thumbup:

Cheaper than a VW. Because its not a VW! :biggrin:

Thanks ya'll. I'm looking at a lease so it would be brand new I guess. The berlingo looks good I reckon, seems to be economic and comfortable. I've not had a French vehicle since my first car which put me off for a while!

Caddy is more per month but I guess should also be worth more after the lease term if I decide to sell it on.

if your looking new and leasing go and look at the roomster they have audi engines under bonnet so very good and be surprised how little a month they are for what you get. and have a good resale value as people keep them so second hand ones like rocking horse dung.

worth the look

Q. Why should vans have lower speed limits than cars when they now have modern advanced braking systems like cars?

A. The main reason for these lower speed limits is that goods vehicles are designed to be able to carry heavier loads and when laden they will tend to take longer to slow down than a car travelling at the same speed.

Q. Why are the speed limits different when very often cars & vans are in the same tax class for DVLA registration purposes?

A. Some people make the mistake of thinking that if a van is in the same tax or registration class as a car then it is subject to the same speed limits. However the two issues are unrelated and they are governed by different legislation. National speed limits are set out in the 1984 legislation are based on the possible load capacities of the vehicle and whether or not it is used for carrying passengers.

Q. Are there any exemptions from these lower speed limits for vans?

A. There is one (small) group of vans which have the same speed limits are cars by virtue of the definitions in Schedule 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act of 1984. These are vans that are both derived from a car chassis and also have a maximum laden weight of no more than 2 tonnes. This means that the weight of the vehicle and the payload it is designed to be able to carry when added together do not exceed 2 tonnes. The van design must be a derivative of a car body, it is not sufficient that it looks similar to a particular car.

Q. Which vans meet the criteria to be considered car derived vans for speed limit purposes?

A. Very few vans will meet the criteria to benefit from the same speed limits as a car. Those that do are likely to be similar to a Ford Fiesta van ,Vauxhall Corsa or Renault Clio van in having maximum payloads of around 500kgs so that when combined with the weight of the vehicle unladen (normally around 1.4 tonnes) the maximum laden weight of the whole vehicle will not exceed 2 tonnes.

What this means is that vans such as the Ford Transit and (and of course the larger panel vans) will not meet the definition of car derived vans set out set out in part IV section 2 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Therefore these vehicles will be subject to speed limits of 50mph on single carriageways and 60 mph on dual carriageways.

Q. When did these rules come in and shouldn't they be changed now?

A. These speed limit rules have been in place for well over 20 years and there are no plans to change these limits to allow vans to be driven at higher speeds because ministers remain to be convinced that it would be safe to do so.

Q. Do these speed limits apply if the van is travelling without a load?

A. The national speed limits apply to the vehicle type and it makes no difference whether the vehicle at a particular time is fully loaded, partially loaded or travelling without a load.

Hope that helps!!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

plus if you use tolls if it is comercial you pay comercial tolls not car tolls.

made me mad i see a taxi with 7 seats eg vito pay car toll i had a vito panel van paid commercial rates hence we went the car derived route for some areas due to charges.

if your looking new and leasing go and look at the roomster they have audi engines under bonnet so very good and be surprised how little a month they are for what you get. and have a good resale value as people keep them so second hand ones like rocking horse dung.

worth the look

Tempting but I don't want to get clobbered with company car tax so it has to be a van. Thanks.