What's killing my trees?

IanW

Like you I love growing trees from seed. I've currently got about 600 trees growing on in my garden in pots reading for planting out this autumn. I'm growing about 140 species and varieties, mainly from seeds, but also cuttings and grafts. I've got the three redwoods growing and like you find them difficult to get going.

I had the same problem last year and (if its not vine weevil) found that they dessicated very easily. They grow in very humid conditions in nature and this year I'm doing better by growing them amongst other trees, all very closely packed in. They have no browning and I'm hopeful I've found the answer but am not an expert.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were grown out side earlier this year, they developed really quick and strong but then just stopped and now are dying.

the bigger older trees were grown over winter and spent the seedling stage on a window sill in my room.

the soil was a god potting compost and a mix of mole hills from a field that's been stood for years.

I can't think if or how it was possibly contaminated, but I won't rule it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

haha sounds like a good place to be.

I always open my bags once a week and just give them a little shake, also good to let fresh air in and check to see if it's damp enough, I've found mine tend to dry a little so always end up adding a few more drops of water.

ian

I lost a few more over the last few days and it seems as though something is killing the roots.

when I have pulled them up the roots are like brown mush, just rotted away.

any ideas ??

Phytophthora cinnamomi is a root rot disease that is sometimes confused with dothiorella. However, instead of causing some branches to dieback, phytophthora causes the entire tree to turn brown. Infected trees can die in just three to eight weeks, although many trees survive for several years. Symptoms of phytophthora include the appearance of water-soaked lesions and large brown spots, which may be surrounded by a yellow halo. Leaves wilt and turn brown. Cankers may appear on twigs and branches, which then die back. Shoots wilt and die and stem lesions appear. A dark red, amber or black liquid oozes from wet spots on the stem, and these spots attract beetles. Lesions also appear on the root collar and they decay. As of 2010, the only treatment for phytophthora was to quarantine infected trees. A buffer zone of 300 feet is maintained around infected trees.

Dose any know of a cure for this disease?????

The spots an dying of branches are very very similar !!