Opinions on these trailers?

Big J

I would seriously evaluate the bogie design for your requirements Big J, after all doubt the new skill needed is going to hold you back.

Design is so much more manuvreable and less stress on towing vehicle. I remember readind an article in a classic tractor magazine about someone who this was the only tralier that ticked all boxes with nose weight axle weights for going to tractor rallies with.

I'm certainly seriously considering it. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a good reason not to go for it! It is about a grand more expensive, but given that I must tow 10000 miles a year, that is money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I think that I will pick up the reversing of it fairly quickly - I took to normal trailer reversing quite well. Rover - how is it for simple, long, straight reversing? So for instance, if you've gone nose into somewhere and cannot turn around.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer the simple straight long reversing question. It should be good on good flat hard standing, but it will jiggle about on hard core or bumpy areas. Especially when empty.

I think it would be good if you do purchase and be our guinea pig. Also hopefully someone else will want another trailer piggy backing in to the country. Or the manufacturer will send one back with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

To answer the simple straight long reversing question. It should be good on good flat hard standing, but it will jiggle about on hard core or bumpy areas. Especially when empty.

I think it would be good if you do purchase and be our guinea pig. Also hopefully someone else will want another trailer piggy backing in to the country. Or the manufacturer will send one back with you.

I'm not too concerned - they do seem to be a good deal easier to turn going forwards, so perhaps the long reverses won't be necessary any longer. It's a small trade off for long distance towing comfort.

I'll only be able to bring a normal trailer back as I'm getting the smallest of the bogie trailers (5x2x2). Looks like a local cabinet maker wants a curtain sider too.

Happy to be guinea pig though - I like the weird and unusual, and so far (with my sawmill) it's worked out very well.

Sorry Jonathan, I though I'd replied to this but must have not hit "send" button.

It is harder to reverse but just takes a little practice. Correcting a mistake is the easier, ie it takes less going forward again to get it back inline. I do more little corrections.

I've not noticed any difference in surface (and I can't see why on would think hardcore would make reversing harder?)

I can reverse mine just fine with a defender 90, but much better with a vehicle that has a turning circle of less than 12acres.

Easier with a vehicle that has some distance between the rear axle and the towbar.

Its easier to hook up when empty, as the drawbar can easily be moved side to side.

You can also do some cheating. I had to deliver a shed in a narrow lane with only just enough space to park the trailer without the vehicle. so drove in one way, parallel parked (much easier) parked towtug down the road and offloaded.

When we left we just put the car beside the trailer but in the opposite direction, pulled the drawbar round, hooked on and drove off. Baffled faces from the customer, big grin on the drivers face.

I changed the towbar on the landy as any play in the system is annoying. I had a height adjustable and they always have some play. Fine with a fixed drawbar but without any nose weight it rattled a lot.

So I simply changed the pins for big bolts and welded some thin shims in.

Sorry Jonathan, I though I'd replied to this but must have not hit "send" button.

It is harder to reverse but just takes a little practice. Correcting a mistake is the easier, ie it takes less going forward again to get it back inline. I do more little corrections.

I've not noticed any difference in surface (and I can't see why on would think hardcore would make reversing harder?)

I can reverse mine just fine with a defender 90, but much better with a vehicle that has a turning circle of less than 12acres.

Easier with a vehicle that has some distance between the rear axle and the towbar.

Its easier to hook up when empty, as the drawbar can easily be moved side to side.

You can also do some cheating. I had to deliver a shed in a narrow lane with only just enough space to park the trailer without the vehicle. so drove in one way, parallel parked (much easier) parked towtug down the road and offloaded.

When we left we just put the car beside the trailer but in the opposite direction, pulled the drawbar round, hooked on and drove off. Baffled faces from the customer, big grin on the drivers face.

I changed the towbar on the landy as any play in the system is annoying. I had a height adjustable and they always have some play. Fine with a fixed drawbar but without any nose weight it rattled a lot.

So I simply changed the pins for big bolts and welded some thin shims in.

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to relay your experiences. Tom D's brother has one, and isn't too far away, so I'll go see that and make up my mind. I think it's pretty much made up anyway! :laugh1:

Big J

being unconventional is progressive in my book.

Rover

the hard core comment. I was thinking if Jon goes to yards rough laid with bigger lumps half brick size not flattened well. I thought the trailer may brake on the dolly wheels like a chock and cause unwanted steering movements. Only based on my experience which hgv size it makes no difference but at the other extreme compact tractor light trailers it plots a whole new direction!

Hope that's clearer. Just thinking out any potential problems beforehand.

I remember you mentioning that, and you can get them from this manufacturer (drehschemelanhaenger is the German word for them) but surely they must be impossible to reverse with the double articulation? :001_huh:

It is a skill that wants a lot of mastering but can be done. Many years ago I saw a 6 wheel rigid German Truck and 6 wheel 3 axles drawbar trailer reverse about 200 yards when a road was blocked by an accident.

Dont think i would want one behind a 4x4 though.

A