air compressor

neilb

Hi all,

Cleared a shed out today to make a work area. In the market for an air compressor. Million and one to choose from! I'm thinking a 50 litre from machine mart. It's just going to be used for blowing saws out/tyre pressures etc. Nothing too strenuous.

Any product/make you should stay away from? or are they all much of a muchness? Any input appreciated.

Hi all,

Cleared a shed out today to make a work area. In the market for an air compressor. Million and one to choose from! I'm thinking a 50 litre from machine mart. It's just going to be used for blowing saws out/tyre pressures etc. Nothing too strenuous.

Any product/make you should stay away from? or are they all much of a muchness? Any input appreciated.

HI MATE thats all i have a cheap one mate does the job ok thanks jon :thumbup:

Wolf. I have 6l, 25l and 50l. I bought the 2.5hp 25l for £90 the other day- nothing else comes close. They take some serious abuse too. I've had the 6l one for ten years, the 50l one under the floor in the workshop for 6 years and no problems whatsoever.

Another one for a 50 ltr cheapy. On the second one, first one lasted 8 years this one has done 9 years. Used for tyres, blowing out saws, radiators, etc. But has also been used extensively with an air chisel chipping out cement joints and render off walls - I am amazed it still works TBH. One tip - use proper compressor oil, I have motor oil in mine and it has difficulty starting from cold in the winter. Can't be bothered to change it now.

I'd recommend a unimog! or at least use it for justification to the missus as to why your buying one.

Seriously, my dad has had a few and i'd have a listen to them running if your going to use it in a garage, some he's had are painfully loud, so much so that I've put them outside to run.

I'd look for an old 'proper made' one, which chugs away, I had an upright atlas coptco one which was sound and had a cast iron pump, and cost the same as the Aldi ones today, it was 4cfm which is enough for blowing out.

Generally it takes roughly 1hp to create @ 4cfm, so if you find someone selling one and you don't know the cfm, ask them for the motor hp.