freelander or Honda CRV

gnfencer

CRV's have been known to have UJ's fail at around 50,000 miles, as the UJ is a 'stake fit' type it is a big hassle to get the pins pressed out and suitable replacement aftermarket UJ's accurately welded onto the shaft etc. Honda like to tell you this and charge you £1,400 for a complete new rear drive shaft plus fitting. I however have found a place that sells an aftermarket version (tink it was £230 delivered) that comes with circlip replaceable UJ's and grease nipples already in place where as the OE Honda UJ's do not incorporate these features. Also watch out for front half shaft failure (£1,200 approx) and the rear diff breather is badly designed on some models (ours was on a 56 plate) which allows water ingress which requires the diff oil to be drained off and flushed out a couple of times, they may have modified the breather by now though. The 2.2 Diesel is a peach though, 6 speed box and it is quite frugal.

DPF (diesel particulate filter) issues effect most diesel engine fitted to cars since around 2005. They simply do not like low mileage use and the DPF clogs with soot, needing regeneration when the light comes on. This involves a thrash up the motorway for 20 minutes or so, in a lowish gear and highish revs.

diesel particulate filter (dpf) | AA

How come if the extra diesel injected into the particulate filter doesn't burn it ends up in the engine sump? Or is it that the injectors just get an extra squirt prior to the exhaust valve opening and this washes down the cylinder walls?

Just got rid of a freelander td4, good car but expensive to run as a family car. The petrol is under powered, unreliable, and very expensive to run from what I am told. The crv is supposed to have one of the best diesel engines around from what I have read. As previous posts have said, don't buy a modern diesel to drive short distances around town as you will get problems with the dpf. I have a 58 plate diesel 308sw with a dpf but I drive on the motorway several times a week so no probes at all and i get 600 miles out of a tank.

How come if the extra diesel injected into the particulate filter doesn't burn it ends up in the engine sump? Or is it that the injectors just get an extra squirt prior to the exhaust valve opening and this washes down the cylinder walls?

I honestly do not know much about them and how they work, except for what I read on the link.

I do know my daughter had quite high repair costs on her 2010 Mondeo DPF recently and I really do not need the hastle.

To go petrol is an easy choice now as modern diesels are packed with electronics that play up. Petrol is around 10p a litre less and most small cars now do 50 mpg. Wifes i10 is now 4 years old so far just servicing. I cant think of many diesels after 2006 that are known to be fairly fault free.

To go petrol is an easy choice now as modern diesels are packed with electronics that play up. Petrol is around 10p a litre less and most small cars now do 50 mpg. Wifes i10 is now 4 years old so far just servicing. I cant think of many diesels after 2006 that are known to be fairly fault free.

Hi Steve your right there mate our smart car is lot if money when they go :thumbdown:mate it hard to no now what's the best thanks Jon