What vehicle under 3.5 tonne can cope with 6 x 1m3

boardingmonkey

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, from what I remember they had sold some to firewood merchants who were using LandRovers so 3.5 ton towing capacity. Pick up 6 seasoned bulk bags and then drop them off one by one and adjust trailer axle with small hydraulic ram (manually operated from what I remember). More logs could be carried by the LandRover as well. I guess any vehicle could be used which has enough towing capacity. If you were pulling wood out of a woodland then I guess you could adjust the axles for more nose weight whilst in the woodland to give more traction. You could even pull 4 bags out with them at the front of the trailer, drop 2 off near the road, go and get another 2 then put the other 2 back on for the road trip and final delivery of 6 bags. Riko might have the fast tow at APF, worth checking if you are going to the show. I think at least one Arbtalker has one.

I put 8 one cube metre bags of kiln dried to 14% softwood on my trailer which weighs 1000kg mt . The trailer is near 3500kg when loaded. I would say a 0.7 tonne bag full of rain wet beech in January when you are tempted to push the boundries of "dry" will weigh at least 350kg.

Nigel Baddley at Kentdown Mushrooms in Kent has a very cool defender 130 factor fitted with a Hiab. He gets 2/3 Bulgaria bags on the rear deck and then extra bags on a trailer. Delivers into London on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad protected by bombproof Lifeproof Case

6 cubic meter bags? there's no chance of fitting that on to a vehicle under 3.5 tonne. you cant be meaning the full cubic meter bags?

It all gets unstable when you go stacking them up as the log will move about a bit.

The most I can get on the sprinter is 3 bags and that's a tight fit with reused bags as they stretch out over time.

This is what 6 bags look like

WP_20130919_001.jpg.e3b15c1322b17381614f0490e45ba4c0.jpg

My trailer is 2m wide and I cant get the metre cube bags side by side you need a lorry body for that. I have 600 gallon steel tanks with 2ft cut off the end. I drop one bag in the bottom and one on top 4 tanks 8 bags total weight of load incl tanks 2500kg.

My trailer is 2m wide and I cant get the metre cube bags side by side you need a lorry body for that. I have 600 gallon steel tanks with 2ft cut off the end. I drop one bag in the bottom and one on top 4 tanks 8 bags total weight of load incl tanks 2500kg.

Hi there all, sounds good idea Steve, just to add to this,

We filled 3 x wooden boxes dimension 1.05m x 1.05m x1.0m ( we figured is fairly genuine 1m3 box!) with mixed hardwood 9" logs that showed between 17 - 22% moisture, on weigh bridge, went and chucked off logs, went back and weighed and hola!

Just over 1200kg for this 3m3.

On the strength of this, we built a 3m3 divided log cage on a lr130.

Our logs aren't always down to 17% (it was dry summer few years back) but I feel I am mostly legal as long as it doesn't rain, herr.

Then of course, can put 4m3 in caged trailer too, but rarely need to as LR dashing about and tipping is more pleasant.

All the best, John.

Ps if I knew how to get pictures from this Nokia onto this forum, I would put something up... Cheers