Apparently, "felling a tree isn't hard"

Simon Rotheram

Loving this, Firstly, reading through this, I first mis-read it as HSE not HSS which made me chuckle, then the photo has a huge split in the face of the previous cut, which you can see is from the lack of the undercut from the cut he's in the process of completing. After that, it doesn't state if it's a hand axe or a full length axe for the height estimation (I can see a **** up there alone). After that, I'm lost on the second cut, the fourth seems odd, and I cannae get my saw back in for the final cut because the pry bar is blocking the cut, oh, and it's been knocked in by Timmy Mallet. I reckon that whoever wrote this had a book, but no idea what it was telling him or he to do. I doubt they've ever knocked over more than a sapling.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving this, Firstly, reading through this, I first mis-read it as HSE not HSS which made me chuckle, then the photo has a huge split in the face of the previous cut, which you can see is from the lack of the undercut from the cut he's in the process of completing. After that, it doesn't state if it's a hand axe or a full length axe for the height estimation (I can see a **** up there alone). After that, I'm lost on the second cut, the fourth seems odd, and I cannae get my saw back in for the final cut because the pry bar is blocking the cut, oh, and it's been knocked in by Timmy Mallet. I reckon that whoever wrote this had a book, but no idea what it was telling him or he to do. I doubt they've ever knocked over more than a sapling.

Yes, I did think that about the axe too, if you were measuring with a hatchet (hand axe) you could be stood a hundred meters away, but with a felling axe or maul, you could be a few feet. It was also confusing with the gob taking 3 cuts, then a back cut for a pry bar (not a felling lever) and then an additional felling cut. No indication was given to where any of the cuts should be placed! As patronising as the 'how to fell a tree' instructions are in the chainsaw manuals, they definitely have a better guidance, apart from the husky one, their method always lands to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Just asked the apprentice to read it and then show me how to fell a tree. His reply was did somebody forget to engage brain before typing. He did also say why did you bother sending me on an NPTC courses when I could have had taining from HSS. Guess who just had to buy the bacon cobs.

There's a bunch nonsensical other stuff too. But these caused me to scratch my head the most.

"Wear a hardhat, safety goggles and gloves while you work."

But no mention of era defenders or CS trousers or protective footwear. Or did I miss the directive, saying that flip-flops & shorts were ok now?

"Use the chainsaw to make a cut in the trunk on the opposite side of the notch. This cut doesn’t need to be as deep as the others and only needs to be big enough to allow you to insert the pry bar..."

Gonna need a ruddy great bar to lever it over, if the back cut is that shallow.

"The cut should be slightly angled toward the ground."

You what? Unless he's on about a forward leaning tree. In which case, I hope the customer gets a free funeral throw in. Did the guy do "Falling trees made easy" on a postal course.?

"Keep watching the tree as you walk away so you can see if it starts to fall in a different direction and you need to alter your path."

And if it's falling in the direction of your house. You can head for the car and leave your spouse & kids behind. As if they survive, they'll not want to associate with you.

Perhaps the best escape route, is to run in a spiral round the tree. Cover all the bases in one fell swoop.

De-limbing or snedding - I'd love to be around to watch that, especially "thick" ones.

Haven't heard mention of using a chain braike yet. But hey, I'm not the guy on the spot.

"Felling a tree isn’t hard, *but it does require some special safety considerations. Always wear proper safety equipment and **use this guide to help you remove the tree easily and safely."

*Like knowing what you're doing.

**Why do I inhabit the same world as this guy. Does he also do a guide, "What to do when someone dies suddenly"?

Edited by TGB

Anyone want to join in with my slightly Grandpa Simpson like complaint to them on their facebook page?

hopefully this link should work...

Classic comment by HSS " written to help DIY'ers". Shame it was written apparently by one too.

It least common sense has prevailed and hopefully it will be replace by something better.

Classic comment by HSS " written to help DIY'ers". Shame it was written apparently by one too.

It least common sense has prevailed and hopefully it will be replace by something better.

How to make a nice sponge cake perhaps ?