Buying a land rover discovery

Brushcutter

I'm sure my mums one went through 2 or 3 fuel pumps and loads of other smaller issues including the electric windows and clutch slave cylinder. The ABS system was just dangerous on slippery slopes.

It was a 52 plate with about 80,000 miles only really used to occasionally pull a horsebox.

I wouldn't recommend getting one

I personally wouldn't recommend getting one. I had one as a stop gap between navara's. It had 6 months mot and seemed to run fine when I bought it.

It soon developed a misfire and £400 later still wasn't totally cured. It was very thirsty, and rubbish at towing compared to a navara.

Come mot time, it failed on welding on the chassis. It was totally knackered at the backend. Places to look are around the spring seats. It is very difficult to see in there but take a wheel off and have a GOOD look around. If there is any sign of corrosion, walk away!

Has it got coil spring or air suspension? If it's the latter, chances are it will go wrong.

Personally, for that money, I would get an old hilux or l200.

I had one it was really nice to drive but had a few issues with it. First the pump for the air suspension went. Then the air bags went in the suspension this happened 3 times! When you raise the suspension to go off rd it gets covered in crap then you lower it and it rips the air bag! Had it changed to springs. Then the gear box went :-( but I did like driving it! My disco 3 was such a better truck

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

As sated you can get a rear suspension normal spring kit ..... for about £55.

Any leaks from the fuel pressure regulator will ingress into the starter motor:so if you have a leak there fix it asap and/or buy a starter motor also.

Cylinder heads are big creds ( +£1000 then valves etc))so make sure there's no sign of water in the oil...

If replacing the fuel pressure regulator..use a Land Rover one.

Clutch changing time can be done with a Britpart solid fly wheel only.....(Td5 flywheels are dual mass ie big bucks:all otherBP clutch parts are crap IMO)but with a LR RRC V8 fibre disc....this'll help keep a clutch replacement cost down...see Rakeway dot co dot uk and have a chat with the dudes there.

Fuel pumps are a consumable these days...Bearmach or Allmakes brands make ones that work just the same as LR...price from Devon 4x4 dot com.

Alternators have the PAS pump mounted on them...so make sure all is well there...big creds to replace.

Oil in wiring harness.....another great British design clusterfeck (just like the first RR L322 auto gearboxes)..check where the engine harness connects to the ECU.

Check propshafts and prices to replace.

Injectors are individually fired by the ECU...£200 plus each x 5 for a new set....

Wheel bearings....one hub unit....can't buy bearings..have to buy whole expensive hub complete....

:biggrin:

Edited by Ohlins

As sated you can get a rear suspension normal spring kit ..... for about £55.

Any leaks from the fuel pressure regulator will ingress into the starter motor:so if you have a leak there fix it asap and/or buy a starter motor also.

Cylinder heads are big creds ( +£1000 then valves etc))so make sure there's no sign of water in the oil...

If replacing the fuel pressure regulator..use a Land Rover one.

Clutch changing time can be done with a Britpart solid fly wheel only.....(Td5 flywheels are dual mass ie big bucks:all otherBP clutch parts are crap IMO)but with a LR RRC V8 fibre disc....this'll help keep a clutch replacement cost down...see Rakeway dot co dot uk and have a chat with the dudes there.

Fuel pumps are a consumable these days...Bearmach or Allmakes brands make ones that work just the same as LR...price from Devon 4x4 dot com.

Alternators have the PAS pump mounted on them...so make sure all is well there...big creds to replace.

Oil in wiring harness.....another great British design clusterfeck (just like the first RR L322 auto gearboxes)..check where the engine harness connects to the ECU.

Check propshafts and prices to replace.

Injectors are individually fired by the ECU...£200 plus each x 5 for a new set....

Wheel bearings....one hub unit....can't buy bearings..have to buy whole expensive hub complete....

And thats just the td5 move on to a d3 or 4 and you can times everything by 10 :001_smile:

I had one for 2 years and did 80K (70K - 150k) miles with nothing but servicing costs + new fuel filter sensor (£15).

Mine was a 2000 Series IIa TD5 - lovely to run, did about 35mpg average and was great on the motorway too. I had BFG Allterrain tyres on it.

I managed to put it in a hedge in the ice, otherwise I would probably still have it.

you say your navara is nothing but a pain. is the D40 or the D22. mt D22 is brill can not fault it. whats the faults. have a word with Dave at Billcar engineering they will sort it so its trouble free motering.

if it was me would keep the navara. LR can be problomatic. check the V5 docs see were owners lived if near sea check chassie with a tooth brush rot out at the back end mine did. not cheap to run as i say i would get navara fixed and keep it or PX for a izuzu

And thats just the td5 move on to a d3 or 4 and you can times everything by 10 :001_smile:

Yip...D3.....normally you have to lift the whole body off to change the head gaskets....again....another Great British Design Cluster Feck.....where do these new designers qualify from these days?...certainly not a mechanics workshop.